Where to get driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I would like to know where is the best place to get driftwood. Stores? Or maybe in the forrest. I have trees near by and a creek. What kind of wood would work best? Pine? Oak? Cedar? Sorry I kind of new to driftwood. I really want some for my tanks.

Not pine, not cedar, nasty resins in those.

The wood you can buy in any decent fish store is not going to rot, the wood you collect yourself will.

Ok well I'll get some from a store. Petsmart carries it but it's for reptiles. Will that work?

Don't collect any "wild" wood. It will rot. Don't buy from petsmart or petco either it's not made for fish. Go to your LFS and they will have correct wood. Or order some Manzanita-driftwood it's aquarium safe and looks good. You can go to the classifieds here on AA and there should be a supplier that sells some.

Local Driftwood

Ok I would like to know where is the best place to get driftwood. Stores? Or maybe in the forrest. I have trees near by and a creek. What kind of wood would work best? Pine? Oak? Cedar? Sorry I kind of new to driftwood. I really want some for my tanks.

Hello m...

Whatever you can can find that's natural can be used. Most of the local pieces will float, so you'll need some large rocks to weigh it down, but that's part of the natural look. Just soak the piece in a 5 gallon bucket with some of your water change water and add a tablespoon or so of standard aquarium salt. It will be tank ready in a couple of days.

B

I'd advise against the pine and cedar. Again, nasty resins. If i may suggest, maple and oak are decent. Buying wood from retailers, even aquarium made wood, is overrated. When they're selling DW for 10$, i can get it for free from my backyard. Or theres some that's cheap in lovely patterns and hues in some smaller fish stores. Make sure you boil any wood to get rid of tannins. Big problem with one of my tanks, terrible for the plants. it turns the water a murky yellowish color, obcuring lights for the plants. also dont ever bleach or use soap on the DW. For advice, if you want to attatch plants to the wood, use an elastic at the roots, and dont buy those plants pre existing on the wood from stores. they use a foamy mesh thing to hold it in. Some fish will eat, choke and die on that stuff.

Tannins are bad for the tank that's a common fable. Granted, they give a colour to the water. However, it depends what you're after. Quite a few of the popular species from South America and Asia come from slow to medium moving water where half the jungle drops in the water and rots. With some wood that leaks tannin you're simulating those conditions.

Collecting something yourself is an option for some but certainly not for all. Resin heavy woods are out sure. Other woods will soak up water and start rottingslowly but surely.

When I buy wood I buy what's know as bog wood. That comes from peat bogs and has been in there for thousands of years and has been preserved by the peat.

Ordinary drift wood is an option but contains way too much salt for my taste. Manzanita wood is certainly an option but it's quite rare over here.

If you have access to a dw pile @ a creek or river collect the hardwood species like oak, black or honey locust and hickory. Stay away from softy's like maple, ash, and pine. Hardwoods will release their tannins slowly and will lose their buoyancy "ability to float" quickly compared to softwoods.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with collecting your own DW. I've been doin it for years and its completely safe if the right wood is used and the treatment or prep work is done.

I got my DW right out of the creek here in Missouri. I boiled and soaked it of course, haven't had a problem with it at all you just have to make sure its a hard wood or it will rot after a while

Tannins are bad for the tank that's a common fable. Granted, they give a colour to the water.

I disagree. Granted, most people think they're harmful, but for the wrong reasons. Some People automatically believe if its murky, its harmful. probably thinking its some yucky poop or chemicals.in actuality, it lowers pH. Some argue its only slight, yet Ive had people tell me one day, no DW, pH perfecto, and a day or 2 after adding DW, the pH is lower by 2,3 even for. I also speak from experience as well. Again, my earlier point is that it refracts some light and makes it hard for the plants to receive enough light.

2-3 lower PH that's impressive. For that to happen you must have a very low buffer. Valid point though that I overlooked. I've got quite pure water of a consistent ph of 8. With blackwater species I grab every option I have to lower PH.

If you already have low PH then adding leaking wood to the tank is something that needs to be done with care and may require additional measures to offset the drop.

The overall general point we're all trying to make is that its ok to get natural DW. Im sorry if ive offended anybody. I didnt mean to if i did. Avoid softwoods and treat carefully and you should be all set

The PH change that DW can cause has tons to do with what type and how much you use.

Back
Top Bottom