Where to get pool filter sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tons of noob questions, but do I need to wash the pfs before I put it in my tank?

Well shoot. Ready to put some water in the tank but ran into a problem with the sink. Turns out the hose is long enough but it won't fit on my sink. I have a male part on my sink that doesn't fit any of the adapters that ame with my hose( all male parts too) and it too small to fit into the big hose size female ends on it. Gonna have to go to the hardware store tomorrow and find an adapter if they make them...

I had the same problem. I started with a female part that was plastic and it slowly stripped down until it just popped off the sink. I went to Lowels and they had a metal part in the section you get parts for dishwashers. Cost me $3, whereas a replacement plastic part I would have had to order online and it would have cost $10.

how do you clean pFS? i just picked up 100lbs today...i have no idea of how to clean sand. (actually sounds really funny) CLean sand?hahahah

here is a better tip... go to ace hardware... take the aerator of of your sink, the part that screws off, go to the dishwasher parts in the plumbing, i found an adapter for $2 that fit the threads, female of course, and then had a 3/4" thread on the other side for the python to screw on to... i think almost everybody has that problem lol... and as for rinsing the sand, if its a new tank, i guess im wierd, but i just put the sand in, run water through it until its a few inches above the sand, mix it up real good, and repeat until the water is clear... works great for me :)

Put it in a big tub 50lbs at a time and run a hose in it and let it overflow until it runs clear, stirring occasionally. Put in tank

Got it cleaned.. Cleared out old substrate. re-aquascaped. Pics coming soon on the 55 WIP.

i went with about 65 lbs for my 55. I may ad more because i'm a fan of thick substrate.

I'm glad I came across this thread. I saw a tank in an LFS and talked to the guy who set it up, he put a layer of Flourite down (for plants), then about 1" of sand, and topped it off with some light gravel. It looked really cool and I wanted to do that to my new tank, but another local LFS recommended against it, saying that the smaller particles would sink, gas pockets can form, hard to clean, etc.

Sounds like she didn't read this thread.

Question 1) Is PFS a good substrate to use for a heavily planted tank?

2) Wouldn't a base layer of Flourite cause possible anaerobic pockets and allow fish waste to be trapped? Or will the PFS prevent waste from getting down there? The LFS guy that set up the tank said he did it for purposes of stabilizing the water and boosting plant growth.

3) am I going to end up with sand mixed with Flourite over time?

4) should i skip the flourite and just go with PFS?

by the way this is for a 37 that will mainly house fry, my 10g just became too small to hold all of them, which seems to be more and more each month. I've given away 400 in the last 6 months. Plus I got the 37 for $20.

pfs will be fine for plants as long as you add ferts in with it and give them proper lighting. i wouldnt waste the time putting flourite in, then sand, then having to worry about it mixing up and looking wierd.. the sand is big enough to allow gas to escape, but small enough to trap stuff on top. Its incredible

Back
Top Bottom