WHEW...that was close...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so we had a cold front come through last nite, with some strong winds. Well, needless to say, the power went out at 4:30ish in the morning. That was no big deal, turned off the power strips so the filters would not come back on without my knowledge. Morning comes, still no power, leave the power strips off and leave for work. power comes back on at about noon, so like 8 hours with no filtration. The only problem is, I'm at work, or so I thought. Come to find out, the window A/C unit kicks back on along with the power. The heaters are plugged into the power strips, thus no heat in the tanks. When we got home tonite, the 2 big tanks were in the upper 60's, and the fish were not very active. I quickly got the heaters going, to heat the tanks, while I know slow is better, I also know that most fish do not prefer 67 degrees. I'm heating the tanks at about 2 degrees an hour, likely quicker than I should, but thus far there has been no strange behavior. Everyone has survived thus far, even the Mango pleco. I did a major cleaning on all the filters before starting them back up, with some water changes happening tomorrow I believe.

Hope it all works out I hate power outtages. We get nasty ice storms every year that shut us down, so this year I think I will be buying a generator.

Gillie said:
Hope it all works out I hate power outtages. We get nasty ice storms every year that shut us down, so this year I think I will be buying a generator.

Sorry for this sorta spam, but I just wanted to make sure you know NOT to run the generator indoors. Many people each year die due to running them in there basements or household.

Thus far, things seem to be good, no major problems as of yet. I am thinking we got really lucky...

Thank you to all for the replies

its close calls like that that I thank my parents for installing a back up generator a couple years ago. Glad to hear everyone lived through the ordeal ! I'm surprised the mango pleco made it thogh..what a trooper! lol

tropicfishman said:
its close calls like that that I thank my parents for installing a back up generator a couple years ago. Glad to hear everyone lived through the ordeal ! I'm surprised the mango pleco made it thogh..what a trooper! lol

I'm not sure that a generator would work for us, but I've contemplated a large UPS setup for the tanks, something that could run the filters for a few hours atleast...

I too am surprised about my mango, we've only had him about a month, and when I saw him before we got the heat back up, he was ghost white...

Back
Top Bottom