Which Algae Eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, if a 55 gal (approx. 6 feet long from what I've read) isn't large enough for the SAE, I don't think I want to even try them anytime soon. Since the average for the American Flag Fish is around 2 inches what is the smallest tank (over 10 gal (LMAO) that is) you would recommend putting them in? I won't make a move to a tank that large until I know I can handle something around 30 gal.

Are there any other algae eaters as reliable as these guys? Oh and good in a community tank?

I just did a brief google search and from the quick information I've found, they'd probably do well in anything over 10 gallons. Their origional habitat is in still waters of a cooler temp, but not like goldfish. However, they are extremely hardy and do well in all sorts of aquarum situations. I think they'd be a perfect fish to help prevent algae breakouts in a tank. Yes it is nice to have your perams perfect so there isn't a chance for a breakout, but we're human and it happens so why not have some help. Infact, all planted tanks have some algae. However, I suggest making sure you help suppliment their diet with some algae waffers. HTH!

Fubie said:
Wow, if a 55 gal (approx. 6 feet long from what I've read) isn't large enough for the SAE, I don't think I want to even try them anytime soon. Since the average for the American Flag Fish is around 2 inches what is the smallest tank (over 10 gal (LMAO) that is) you would recommend putting them in? I won't make a move to a tank that large until I know I can handle something around 30 gal.

Are there any other algae eaters as reliable as these guys? Oh and good in a community tank?

Once again, green already gave you your answer, but I'll repeat it for you since you asked again. A bristlenose pleco.

Also, a standard 55g tank is only 4 feet long, not 6.

there are other small plecos that would do well. I can't name them off the top of my head though. I think you'd be better off with the bn pleco or the flag fish.

rubysoho said:
there are other small plecos that would do well. I can't name them off the top of my head though.

Someone started a thread about this if you're interested.

Fubie said:
I won't make a move to a tank that large until I know I can handle something around 30 gal.

In my experience the bigger the tank the easier it is to handle unless your talking huge. But generally a 55 gallon would be easier to maintain than a 30 gallon as far as keeping your water stable. Also the 30 gallons tend to be tall and....well me not like tall, LOL

I was wondering what the heck a bn pleco was. Thanks for the answer Tony. I would prefer a longer tank to a tank that is taller. In my (n00bish) opinion it would be easier to take care of.

Fubie said:
I was wondering what the heck a bn pleco was. Thanks for the answer Tony. I would prefer a longer tank to a tank that is taller. In my (n00bish) opinion it would be easier to take care of.

A 55g that was 6 feet long would be about a foot high and look ridiculous.

LMAO. Tony you must not have a single smart alek student in a single class. If you did they are probably listed as missing on a milk carton. Dude, relax. You wig way to easily man. My comment about the longer versus taller tank was in response to talloulou.

if your thinking about getting a 4' tank consider the 75 for a planted tank, it has good depth and height just maybe a little too much hight.. a 40 breeder is a good choice but it wouldnt let you grow tall plants but you wouldnt have any problems getting enough light over it...

I have a lovely pitbull pleco he is about 2 inches and wont get any bigger ... he is a great cleaner... never had algea cept for that little bit of red once so I guess he does a lovely job

Every site I've found with info about SAEs says they grow to a max of 4-6". How is a 6" bottom feeder too big for a 55 gallon tank?

I second the liveaquaria site as being very reliable and accurate. Stay away from the SAE, even if they didn't reach the max of 10 inches, they can be extremely aggressive.

Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis)

Chinese algae eater/Sucking Loach (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri)

Is that wrong?

Back
Top Bottom