Which Algae Eater Fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Saw these two little guys at pet store. Sales person had no idea what is name of this fish. Its a small Algae Eater. Please help which fish is this. I made a short video. Video available in 1080p if u need to look clearly.

https://youtu.be/Ichnpz2IOlQ

Please identify. Thanks.

Not an algae eater. Is however a bottom feeder. It's a Cory catfish. I have a few of them.

Not an algae eater. Is however a bottom feeder. It's a Cory catfish. I have a few of them.
Thanks. I Google and found many varieties of Cory cats. Is mine a bronze Cory catfish as in below picture? Looks like similar to me. Please look.

imgC3.jpg

And do they grow or remain like this size? Thanks.
It appears to be a species of Corydoras. To my knowledge they are not algae eaters.

I am still doubtful if its bronze or some other kind.

I believe it's bronze. When mine were young they looked similar. They ended up turning a bronze color as pictured. Took about 6 months.

Most Corys max out under two inches. The pictured Cory cat looks very similar to my emerald green Cory cats. I can't determine what variety you have. There are numerous types. They are a schooling fish and will probably do better if you add a few more. Great scavengers, not algae eaters.

It's a bronze corydora, they aren't algae eaters but they will eat leftover food, I have 5 panda corydoras.
There is a fairly small algae eaters that are called otocinclus, I also have some of those they are great algae eaters and only grow to be 2 inches, but you have to feed them zucchini and algae wafers etc if they start to get low on algae eaters.

Do the otocinclus that Roxane1232 spoke of eat the algae off the glass or just the long stringy stuff? I believe they are different types of algae right? I would love to find a species that could keep your glass pretty clean.

Do the otocinclus that Roxane1232 spoke of eat the algae off the glass or just the long stringy stuff? I believe they are different types of algae right? I would love to find a species that could keep your glass pretty clean.

From what I've seen, Otos graze on surfaces and ignore the long, stringy types. They may help with keeping the glass clean but I've found that an algae magnet or brush does a quicker job.
OP - Corydoras do better in a school.

An albino Corey cat. I have two julie Cory cats. They are such fun to watch. Very active and friendly to other tank mates as well as each other.

Back
Top Bottom