Which barbs might work better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendainnj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am close to finishing stocking a 46g bowfront. Currently have:

3 Yoyo loaches
6 loxozonomous cory cats
1 dwarf guarami

I need a school for the middle of the tank...really not interested in tetras as I'd like something we've never had before. I'm looking at either gold or odessa barbs, 6 or 7 of them. I really like the odessas, but they are easily double the price. One curious note...when I put the odessas into AqAdvisor, the load is MUCH less than with the gold barbs.... Do the golds put out that much more waste? Also, could I do half gold/half odessa? I've heard barbs are not too picky about their species.

A concern is with fin nipping my DG.

I'm open to other suggestions as well, they just need to be affordable & available! My temp is currently 77 (for the cories, who would probably prefer it cooler, but the LFS told me they'd be "fine" w/normal tank temps.)

:thanks:

I had some Odessa's, they're extremely active, I returned them because of this.. You could alwYs do these..

image-429109941.jpg

Odessa barbs are VERY active and like tiger barbs will nip at the DGs fins. Neither of these do well in a peaceful community tank. I had to put both my odessa and tiger barbs in their own tank.

How about a nice school of ten neons?

Neons are nice, but every single tank I've ever had...had neons. Just feel like something different. Have had most of the tetras & as a side note, our PH is 8.0. I thought of the odessas and gold since they are listed as not as aggressive as tigers...perhaps your tigers incited the odessas?

LOL I had the Odessa Barbs first and they have been aggressive since day one. My Tigers are actualy less aggressive although still nip at fins of other community fish.

Yah the Odessa's are all around crazy, stressed all my other fish out.. The pic I posted earlier was not tigers, they're hexazona or 5 banded barbs, very mellow..

I know they're not even close to Barbs but if you want a schooling fish that's not a Tetra, how about a big group of Harlequin Rasboras.

They are completely docile and will school tighter than any Tetra will (in my experience).

They are also quite cheap and will often have deals going for them at the shops.

They stand out remarkably well amongst any background, they eat pretty much any common tropical food and don't shy away like most Barbs will.

I personally love them.

Well, according to AqAdvisor, my yoyo loaches are too aggressive to be w/harlequin rasboras. :(

Personally, I think these guys get a bad rap...they haven't bothered my guarami and they love to pal around w/my cories.

Well, according to AqAdvisor, my yoyo loaches are too aggressive to be w/harlequin rasboras. :(

Personally, I think these guys get a bad rap...they haven't bothered my guarami and they love to pal around w/my cories.

Well according to AqAdvisor my tank should be a deathtrap.

Don't trust what these websites say 100%, they can never be too accurate.

Denison barbs are stunning!! And apparently a peaceful barb. They are a little more $$ ($9 in Petco at the moment) but if you're looking for something striking and different....they would be great.

Denison barbs are stunning!! And apparently a peaceful barb. They are a little more $$ ($9 in Petco at the moment) but if you're looking for something striking and different....they would be great.

ONLY issue with them is that they do prefer a longer aquarium since they grow quite a lot and should be kept in groups.

They do look immensely attractive though.

Back
Top Bottom