Which bottom feeders shall I get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_M.R_Bem

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm very new to keeping fish, I got my first ever tank a few months ago (64L, 61x44x33cm) so be gentle with the replies!

I currently have 6 cardinal tetras and 2 peppered corys. I was in a shop the other day that sold fish and I saw they had 1 synodontis multipunctatus. I really like it but I did a little bit of reading and the general consensus seemed to be they should be kept in groups and you need a relatively large tank (i.e. larger than the one I have).
The shop said they get them in seasonally so they won't be getting more in, meaning unless someone who already has some turns up he's going to be on his own. I get the feeling even if that is the case my tank probably isn't suitable.

On a side note, I was told when I got them that 2 peppered corys should be ok, but reading around I'm getting the impression i should have a few more as they like being in groups.

So my question is, should I get more peppered corys, the synodontis, neither, both, or are there any better suggestions?

I'd stick with getting more corys. Doesn't have to necessarily be peppered if you want variety. The synodontis will get too big on its own, let alone trying to keep a group of then.

I would go with the corys as well nice to have them in a group. The synodontis get pretty large and wouldn't be suitable for your tank.

Ok great thank you, I did think that would probably be best. Any advice on what other cory species go particularly well with the peppered ones, and also how many would be ok for my size tank?

I would say about 5 Cory's all together would be a good number for your tank, I kept Albinos and really liked them, also julli Cory's are nice.

You definitely need 3 more Cory's. That squeaker catfish with eat everything you have in your tank currently once full grown....... besides the fact it gets 10 inches and needs around a 75 gallon/284 liter tank.

Back
Top Bottom