Which canister filter do you guys recommend? 55 GALLONS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
godzilla said:
swanandmokashi said:
Pardon my ignorance but what is an inline heater?

A heater that gets placed in-line in the tubing of your canister filter. The water gets heated as it passes through the tubing, instead of having a heater hang in the tank. From what I can tell, its purely a cosmetic decision.

Ok sub-question then -- what inline heater do you guys recommend? I believe for a 55 gallon a 200W heater should do it?

godzilla said:
I have heard only good things about the XP3, maybe someone who has had both can comment on noise level but the 2217 is on par with the XP3 in the price department, so its up to you. Neither will dissapoint.

I have not had an 2217, but I know that the XP3 is totally silent. I have one in my office and you can not hear it at all.

godzilla said:
I suppose it depends a little on what your bioload is also. I have two Eheim 2217's on my 55 and it stays very clean. I still do weekly 50% water changes to keep the water parameters in check.

I debated about filters over and over again for a while. I had an AC110 along with a 2217 but it was too noisy. I am very picky about noise level because its in my livingroom, right near the TV. Also, while my wife is supportive, I try not to give her any reason to complain about the tank so I keep it quiet :). I wanted the tank to be silent. I replaced the AC with another canister and couldnt be happier.
What he said! (y)

I also have 2 Eheim 2217's on my 55G.....no complaints at all. BTW, I also own 2 XP's and they are excellent filters as well. I just love the Eheim canisters. I have 3 2217's, a 2215, and a 2213. Fantastic filters that should pretty much last forever and used ones can be had cheaply.

A 2215 should cover it, 2217 if you plan on getting flamed for overstocking :)

Back
Top Bottom