Which Canister Filter for 55 Gallon, Looking at Fluval Models

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright so I am looking at canister filters for my 55 gallon and I am most interested in the fluval since they are made by hagan and aquaclear is my favorite HOB filter. I just don't know which model to buy for my 55 gallon planted tank. I usually like to over filter my tanks so I was looking at the fluval 406:
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A217-Fl...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1337824455&sr=1-3
and the fluval 306
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A212-Fl...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1337824455&sr=1-6
and the fluval 305
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-305-Ex...8264/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1337825151&sr=8-9

And then I saw this one, an aquatop CF300 and it seems to be cheaper and still have good reviews, but I don't mind spending extra money if it is worth it in the long run

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-CF300...4G/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1337825385&sr=8-46

But I don't know the differences between the models so would like to get some input on those that have canister filters. I have a pretty high bioload and am currently running two aquaclear 50's which do a pretty good job, but it is a pain to take them off and clean them and I like the idea of a canister so I can hide the equipment under the tank stand and push it closer to the wall. I've never had canister filter before sooo...:blink: any information and suggestions are welcome. (y) TIA

I have a fluvial 406 on my 55g its the newest model. I think it does a great job. Its rated for 100g.

awilson133 said:
I have a fluvial 406 on my 55g its the newest model. I think it does a great job. Its rated for 100g.

Thanks. That's what I was looking at but it is the most expensive so I wondering if the price was worth it if a 306 would be sufficient because a 306 is rated for up to 70 gallons.

Do you use a powerhead or anything in addition to help with water flow or is it sufficient? What I like about the two AC 50'S is that I have flow on both sides of my tank. I have aircurtains too but I don't leave them on. I just turn them on sometimes for aesthetics and because the cories and oto's like to play in the bubbles

ashleynicole said:
Thanks. That's what I was looking at but it is the most expensive so I wondering if the price was worth it if a 306 would be sufficient because a 306 is rated for up to 70 gallons.

Do you use a powerhead or anything in addition to help with water flow or is it sufficient? What I like about the two AC 50'S is that I have flow on both sides of my tank. I have aircurtains too but I don't leave them on. I just turn them on sometimes for aesthetics and because the cories and oto's like to play in the bubbles

I don't have a power head because I have penguin 350 on my 55 as well. I'd.say its very worth it. The 406 are more effecent and updated. Have you check online for a better price for the 406

Ashley,

I was looking at a 306 as well but found that the Fluval 405 model was the same price or a little lower on Amazon.

It runs 129.99 and free shipping from a couple of the ones listed and if you get a bigger tank it'll handle that too.

IMO it is over rated. A filter should turn over the tank volume at least 5 times per hour. It is fine on your 55, though.

I would get the 406. The more filtration, the better! :) I have a 206 on my 20g tank and it is perfect.

Scott F said:
Ashley,

I was looking at a 306 as well but found that the Fluval 405 model was the same price or a little lower on Amazon.

It runs 129.99 and free shipping from a couple of the ones listed and if you get a bigger tank it'll handle that too.

Good point, yeah I do have amazon prime, there is no way I am paying retail store filter prices.

maxwellag said:
IMO it is over rated. A filter should turn over the tank volume at least 5 times per hour. It is fine on your 55, though.

I read somewhere it should turn over 8 times the volume, so a 55 should have a filter rated for at least 440 gph, but that does seem excessive . 5 times the volume sounds more reasonable. At 5 times that would be 270gph

I have the 406 on my 75g and I love it. I got it in on amazon (love prime!) and paid the extra $4 for overnight shipping since I wanted it fast.

The only complaint I have, which isn't a big deal, is they give you ribbed hosing. It makes connecting an inline heater impossible. I had to swap out all the hoses in order to get my inline heater working.

It is quiet and very reliable. We've had a couple power outages and it stays primed and comes right back on. Well worth the money.

Scott F said:
That price on the 405 was without amazon prime. I thought about signing up but decided not to.

OMG amazon prime is totally worth it! And if you don't use it in a year you can get a refund but I've had it for a year and I use it constantly. I can scan an item in a store and if its cheaper on amazon and its a prime item, I get it with free 2 day shipping. Awesomeness.

meegosh said:
I have the 406 on my 75g and I love it. I got it in on amazon (love prime!) and paid the extra $4 for overnight shipping since I wanted it fast.

The only complaint I have, which isn't a big deal, is they give you ribbed hosing. It makes connecting an inline heater impossible. I had to swap out all the hoses in order to get my inline heater working.

It is quiet and very reliable. We've had a couple power outages and it stays primed and comes right back on. Well worth the money.

Thanks, looks like I'm going with the 406 :) how do you get replacement hoses? Or did you use hoses you already have? I don't know how to setup an inline heater but its one of the reasons I wanted a canister so I could hide equipment more efficiently.

OMG amazon prime is totally worth it! And if you don't use it in a year you can get a refund but I've had it for a year and I use it constantly. I can scan an item in a store and if its cheaper on amazon and its a prime item, I get it with free 2 day shipping. Awesomeness.

Hmm...then that doesn't sound too bad. I'll look into that!

Thanks, looks like I'm going with the 406 :) how do you get replacement hoses? Or did you use hoses you already have? I don't know how to setup an inline heater but its one of the reasons I wanted a canister so I could hide equipment more efficiently.

You can just go to a hardware store and get whatever diameter hose you need.

I am running a Hydor 300watt inline on my 75g. I swapped out the return side with 5/8" vinyl hoses and used some hose clamps just to be safe. It has been running for a couple months now with no issues. Keeps the temps stable in the tank which is located in my basement (temps fluctuate a lot).

I had to get a new output (5/8") since the provided output nozzle wouldn't fit the new hoses. It was only a couple bucks at my LFS so it wasn't a deal breaker. I only used the hose clamps on the canister end, the Hydor is made for 5/8" (at least that model is).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom