Which corys to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 6 zebra danios in my 10g and i plan on getting 3 cory cats. So the question is what kind should i get? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have had great sucess with: Bronze Catfish [Corydoras aeneus]

I have had nothing but failure with: Panda Catfish, Panda Cory [Corydoras panda]

I 'might' try panda's once i get my large tank.

You could try: Pygmy Corydoras [Corydoras pygmaeus] cuz the only get to 1 inch in length..

I think these fish probably classify as a bit larger than the actual inch / fish rule as they are fairly wide body.. I guess the probably are not ever classified this way cuz they clean up any food that gets past everyone else.

Also remember to give them something that drops to the bottom so they don't get hungry.... I use sinking tabs and stuff like that... I am sure you already know all this..

I'm also having a good time with my Bronze cories, they are particularly hardy, pretty fearless and they change color (mine are kinda brownish but they were emerald green).

And as an extra bonus, they are pretty cheap... not that that matters the cuty pies!

Perhaps it was just luck, but I have kept so many species of corys that I can't even begin to remember them all. I have never found any that weren't hardy. The bronze corys are great though and will even breed if conditons are right. The most important thing to remember about the corys is you have to feed them too. Contrary to what you will hear and read, they are not just scavengers. They will eat food that falls to the bottom of the tank, but this isn't enough to sustain them in good health. They like shrimp pellets, frozen bloodworms, and mine really go after the Hikari sinking wafers. Feed them well and you will likely be rewarded with a cluster of eggs on the glass one day :mrgreen: .

this reminded me of a question i've been meaning to post here: does anyone know if bronze & albino cories will school together? i have 2 albino cories in my 10 gal. and have been planning on getting them another friend. i like to be able to tell my fish apart because i'm silly, so i was hoping that i'd be able to add a bronze cory instead of another albino. i do know they're the same species, i just want to make sure they would actually hang out together and that the bronze wouldn't wind up alone.

thanks in advance for any help.

Todd2, the bronze cories are great fish--I have two of them and they are totally each other's buddies. They are pretty active and fun to watch. They do love the Hikari Algae Wafers but won't touch the shrimp pellets.

I had spotted cories before, and they died within a few weeks :-(

Back
Top Bottom