Which do you like best? Guppies/Platies/Mollies/Swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think swordtails are pretty cool mostly cause of their sword like tail. But I do think guppies look nice and there are some cool looking mollies but they are suppose to have salt but all of those are cool but i like swordtails the best

After doing research I've found a 20 gallon high is better than a 20 gallon long because it allows more room for layers of fish. Also I've found that mollies attract diseases like ich very easily, Platies have a large bio load limiting my stocking choices and swordtails grow too large to have a nice school in a 20 gallon. This leaves me with guppies as the only live bearers I consider for my tank. I still have to decide on the other layers of my tank but I know I would like Corey cats and guppies. The main concepts of this tank are to add interesting and entertaining fish that interact with each other and are fun to watch! Thank you all for your comments and again any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You could do 5 Guppies, 6 Pygmy Cory Cats, 6 Hatchet Fish and maybe a couple other fish depending on what you would like.

IMo a 20 gallon long is better and offers better stocking. If you want a pair of rams, a 20 long is better e aide their territory leaves little room for the Cory's in the high one

I also prefer long over tall. I've noticed some of my fish don't always stick to the levels they're "supposed" to, and they length also gives them more room to zip around in.
I love my 20 long, and right at the moment, a few of my top-mid dweller danios are all hanging out at the bottom. Probably scrounging for food. Haha.

Just a thought.

Agreed to the fact that all top swimmers only stay at the top and so on. Even Cory's go up and down. And the longer tank allowed for fish to be more active.

Ok well I'll go with your guy's opinion and get the 20 gal long. I'm going to buy one from someone on Craigslist for 30 dollars and it comes with a light strip.

I love my swordtail, by far my favorite livebearer :D

I think you could have all 4 depending on your tank size and other fish, etc. They are all community fish. I have guppies, platies and mollys all in the same community tank and they do great.
Keep in mind they are all livebearers, so unless you get all male fish, you will probably have some serious fry producing going on :)

Swordtails and platys will interbreed. This of course isn't as bad as them killing each other, but for the people who like to keep more pure strains of fish, having them together would not be an optimal arrangement.

After doing research I've found a 20 gallon high is better than a 20 gallon long because it allows more room for layers of fish. Also I've found that mollies attract diseases like ich very easily, Platies have a large bio load limiting my stocking choices and swordtails grow too large to have a nice school in a 20 gallon. This leaves me with guppies as the only live bearers I consider for my tank. I still have to decide on the other layers of my tank but I know I would like Corey cats and guppies. The main concepts of this tank are to add interesting and entertaining fish that interact with each other and are fun to watch! Thank you all for your comments and again any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

20 gallon highs are NOT better than 20 gallon longs, it is the other way around. As you probably already know, fish swim horizontally, not vertically, so more horizontal space is better. Now obviously a 1" high and 36" long tank wouldn't work either, but in this case the 20g long is most definitely better.

Also, Mollies don't "attract" ich more than any other fish does, they are actually more hearty than many other species.

Back
Top Bottom