Which filter do you recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 55g I'm currently running two Top Fin power filter 40s
To be frank they're terrible filters and I've been looking to upgrade essentially since I got them over a year ago. Learned a lot about filtration since then and what I ideally should have for this tank and it's inhabitants. I'm most interested in high quality HOB filters as the tank is sitting on my dresser and doesn't have any space to house a canister.
I'm going to do a major tank remodel over the holiday and turn it into a high-tech planted tank and stock my four angels and four-line pictus.
I'd like to start with the filtration first though.
So, keeping that in mind, which brands and models do you recommend?
What filter do you use on your 55g?

If you're going to use CO2 a canister filter would be the best bet. However, you said no canister, so I'd recommend 2 aquaclear 70's.

I can't use a canister on mine either so, I went with 2 AC 110's, since I was so satisfied with the one on my 29. :)

What about a hang on tank canister? The marineland HOT canister is good, I have several, and they are rated up to 50 gallons. It's a little less than ideal, but if you are running high tech planted then it's really not a good idea to use a HOB since you'd want to minimize surface disturbance. There is also the possibility of getting an extra one if you weren't satisfied with the first, although there may be a better option out there.

toddnbecka said:
If you're going to use CO2 a canister filter would be the best bet. However, you said no canister, so I'd recommend 2 aquaclear 70's.

Aquaclear gets my recommendation as well

Rhino said:
Aquaclear gets my recommendation as well

Same here ! I switched over from top fin to aqua clear about a year ago on my ten gallon and I'm in the process of upgrading to a 29 gallon tank and that's the first thing I bought an aqua clear filter can't go wrong with it :thumbsup:

Aquaclear filters are the best! I like the multi stage media
I take out the carbon and put an extra sponge!
Ref recommend for hob
:)

Thanks for the fast response guys.
I'm definitely leaning toward aquaclear at this point !

Morgie said:
Thanks for the fast response guys.
I'm definitely leaning toward aquaclear at this point !

Amazon.com has them on the cheap. Last time I bought the aquaclear 70 through amazon it was $35 and free shipping.

Like I mentioned earlier, If you are going high tech (i.e. pressurized Co2) you might want to consider something other than a HOB style filter since you'll want to have better control over surface movement.

If you aren't going high tech then definitely go with an ac 110 or two.

jetajockey said:
Like I mentioned earlier, If you are going high tech (i.e. pressurized Co2) you might want to consider something other than a HOB style filter since you'll want to have better control over surface movement.

Good advice hear. Make sure you measure though go cause the 110 is a total beast.

jetajockey said:

What does the term pressurized Co2 mean??? What is that??? Lol

You said high-tech planted tank; that usually means high light and CO2 to maintain plants that aren't actually aquatic, and only survive with constant life support. You don't have to use a canister filter for that sort of setup, but hob's create more surface agitation than canister spraybars, so the CO2 outgasses faster and you have to use more to maintain the proper level in the water.

Yeah, I had some concerns about the HOB. The filters I have now are internal canisters but they're pieces of junk. I think for the time being I'll stick with low-tech high-light until I move and the tank can get some more space for external canisters and a CO2 kit.
Low tech would probably be the best option for now because my catfish will probably bulldoze any delicate plants haha.
I think I'll stick with swords and crypts and things for a while..

Back
Top Bottom