Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

which filter to buy

I have a 10G tank that came with a small 10G top fin cheapo filter. I suspect that it's inabiltiy to keep things clean may be the source of some of my tank problems. So, I'm looking to repalce it. Any suggestions?

One crazy thought I had was to buy a canister filter for my 55G and take the pengiun 350 and put that on the 10G 35 water turnovers per hour baby! The fish might not have any place to hide though. Any thoughts on that idea?

Old 06-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have been running an aquaclear HOB in my 10 gal for years and it's working like a charm. The firs filter I ever bought (12 years ago) is still running in the 5 g.

I have a Penguin biowheel in the 30g but I'm not to thrilled about it. The silly wheel keeps getting stuck when the filter intake collects just a few dead leaves. I do pwc every week and get rid of the leaves then it starts working again.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
I replaced the top fin that came with my 10gallon with a penguin 125 (don't know if they still make those).

I would get rid of the top fin. It's garbage. I came home after a long weekend to fish gasping at the top and a filter that wasn't running (good old top fin). It burned up or something. Piece of junk if you ask me.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have a penguin 150 on my 10 gal, althouth the tank is not planted, so i dont have to worry about leaves getting in the way. it the quietest filter i have. the biowheel holds alot of good bacteria also. does a very good job, i have another 10 gal im thinking of setting up and i will buy another penguin when i do.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aquaclear and marineland/penguin with bio wheel are mentioned most often here...Oversize a bit with with whatever choice.

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Both those are a little much. Aeration is healthy, however a filter to big for a tank can suck in the fish, make them uncomfortable, and do more harm than good. In my opinion the Aqua Clear 20, formerly Mini is the absolute best for smaller tanks like yours. They work great and now that they added the third layer of bio-balls it is even better. And it is only about $15 and the replacement carbon is cheap.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the same issue - sortof. I don't now what type of tiny filter it is, and it works okay, I use aqua clear sponges and biothings in it instead of the filter pad it came with. It ran great for a few months, but is very slow now. The tank just doesn't seem good enough to me, even with an UG fitler also running. THe water is clear and everything anf it seems to do better if the water is either an inch low, or right up to the top.
I just bought an aquaclear 30 for it. This is a 10g tank, planted, slightly overstocked.. 11 -1" fish (betta, mollys, guppy, gold swords), 1 ghost shrimp and by lobster who molted 2x since her introduction to the tank and is now 4" long.
I may have to put the new filter on low so the flow isn't too much for them.. If so I'll get a 20 and use the extra on my 46g.
I really like Aqua CLears.

Tags
filter, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com