Which fish can be very personal and intelligent for a 50g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok guys. Thank you for the input. I know everyone has strong opinions on this. It may work for some, and it may not work for some. But I dont want the community on aquarium advice forums to get angry and worked up over this. We are all friends. I'll research a bit more decide what to do. Thanks again.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure what you guys are going on about. A 48x12 tank is perfectly fine for oscars and many many oscar communities will agree with that. It may not be an ideal size but in reality, is any tank ever ideal for fish?

Stunting is also less of a problem with tank size and is caused by a lack of water changes instead. This has been widely tested by discus keepers and I've seen it for myself in breeding fish.

I'm not sure what you guys are going on about. A 48x12 tank is perfectly fine for oscars and many many oscar communities will agree with that. It may not be an ideal size but in reality, is any tank ever ideal for fish?

Stunting is also less of a problem with tank size and is caused by a lack of water changes instead. This has been widely tested by discus keepers and I've seen it for myself in breeding fish.

I some what agree with this but I'm not saying the foot print or dimensions wont work Its the volume of water. Nitrates will rise fast as the Oscar gets larger and then there is GIH. You compare to discus keepers and I agree that water changes can make it work and keep the nitrates and GIH in check. I don't know how you would measure GIH of if it is possible for the average keeper to do. I truly keep all my tanks at a max of 20 on nitrates. To do this on the 10" hybrid I have in a 55 requires about 65 to 70% water change twice weekly. I don't think he is as bad as an Oscar. The GIH which I think plays a large part in stunting would be more important to control. So as you referred to discus keepers most I have read about on here are doing around 80 to 100% daily changes. severumama has a pic in her thread of her juvies laying on their side in an inch or so of water when she does her changes. So in the end yes it can be done with some effort. This is just my thought.

From Oscarfish.com

Summary: oscars can be kept in 55s but it's going to be a pain in the posterior if you can't dedicate lots of time to water changes.

" There is plenty of debate about the minimum size for an Oscar Tank. I believe that the smallest aquarium an Oscar should be kept in is a 55 gallon (48x12x21 inches). This is not ideal, but it can be done. In a 55 gallon tank I can only recommend one Oscar with no tank mates and minimal decorations. This will also mean that you will be performing large frequent water changes to keep nitrates at a safe level for your Oscar. The average Oscar will grow to 12-14 inches in length. However there are some beasts that will grow up to 15 even 16 inches long. For these beasts I recommend a 75g tank. Let's not forget that bigger is better, and it seems that today there are more and more people providing 100 + gallon aquariums for their fishes. Don't be afraid to give them some extra space. It will be much appreciated."

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here. But, it just seems like everyone wants to step on other people. In my opinion, after keeping an Oscar in a 40 gallon (he's in a 55 now that he's bigger), one Oscar is fine in a 50 gallon. I DID say that the OP may have to upgrade.

I'm just tired of being treated like a beginner! I've been doing this for a while now and I haven't lost a fish in over a year! OH and I started a year ago! I also know what I'm doing. In the end, it's the OPs decision. OP, in my humble opinion, I believe that one Oscar, with good WCs, is fine!

55 gallon- 1 tiger Oscar named Salmon

55 gallon- 4 tinfoil barbs, one small Oscar

55 gallon- freshwater community

Lol, you have an oscar and tinfoils in a 55, you may have been at it for a while but you still keep like a noob.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They're red tails, they don't get as large or grow as fast as regular TF barbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lol, you have an oscar and tinfoils in a 55, you may have been at it for a while but you still keep like a noob.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They're red tails, they don't get as large or grow as fast as regular TF barbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I fail to see any problem with it as long as water changes are done.

Rainbows are probably the dumbest fish I have ever seen lol all they care about is food.

I have owned pretty much all types of fresh water fish.. and from my experience the most personal are Electric blue rams/German Blue rams.. Discus, Angel fish, Betta's..

All these fish are very curous fish and when your watching them... they stop and watching you and follow you

Electric blue acara!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom