Which fish will burrow in substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I figure since I have at least 3.5" of sand in my 55, I really should get at least one fish that will turn the sand over a bit and prevent anaerobic spots. I see MTS are reccommended quite often for this, but I have clown loaches already and don't really want to get rid of them.

What else loves digging in the sand?

I have 3 cories that do that somewhat, but not enough imo.

My yoyo's dig in the sand same as my dojo, but not enough to stir the sand IMO. Snails or manually is the best.

I agree. MTS are really good at that. They have a harder shell than other snails and clowns leave the older ones alone, so if anything, it should be a good population control device, lol.

if you want a fish that burrows and digs into the sand - try a peacock eel.
I used to have one and they did it all the time.
If you have really 'fine' sand, they will bury themselves and have their head sticking out of the sand.

khuli loaches (as with all loaches) sift thru the sand and filter it thru their gills.
They like to dig.

Cories are also another option.

Cories do not burrow in the sand. They will not keep the substrate airated.

MTS are great at this as are various eels and loaches. The great thing about using MTS is that if they do get eaten, they are so cheap that you can get more from the lfs. Heck, ours give them out for free. And Lori is correct, clowns tend to stay away from the larger ones since the shells are so hard.

i have cories in my sand tanks, and they seem to do a good job. i have white sand, and it stays white :D (three peppered in one tank, and three emerald in the other)

My dojo loaches are usually rather nonchalant most of the time. During feeding time they will go wild in bursts from surface to gravel and even dive into the gravel and dig. There are two in my 29g tank are they move the gravel around at will, so I have just about given up in regard to decor. They've uncovered my bubble bar and uprooted single bamboo plants over three times their width so my guess is they could do a number on sand, though I have never kept them on the substrate.

Well, I've got 3 cories already and was looking for something that went a bit deeper. They churn the top 1/4" over quite well, but dont touch anything below that.

Well you may have too much substrate altogether because there's only so much your clean crew can do... Get a vacuum to suck up extra waste from the gravel while doing a water change, I usually do between 30-50%'s every 2 wks in my 29g and monthly in the 50g.

Back
Top Bottom