Which FW Tropical Flake Food ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim Kipper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've spent lots of money on an Eheim filter, best accessories etc but I have not spent any time working out which flake food is the best.

I do vary their diet - frozen bloodworm etc but flake is still the staple diet.

Does anybody have strong preferences. Do any reviews exist ?

I am currently using King British, but not for any particular reason.

One brand that is not in our product review section (I should review it, shouldn't I?) is Omega One. I am a real fan of this line of food, since the first ingredient is fish, not fish meal. This is a proven brand that is preferred by many elite fishkeepers.

Another one that is on the list is New Life Spectrum. I have had a noticeable improvement in color in some of my Africans after feeding this food, but there is a variety for just about any kind of fish. For my wee Endler's I put pellets into a pepper grinder and grind it over the tank (I look like I am seasoning a pot 8O ). This way you get tiny powder for the fry as well as bigger pieces that fall through for the adults, so there is something for every fish. Some sinks to the bottom as well for the cory cats.

I am also a big fan of Hikari frozen anything.

:oops: There are also some others that aren't present. I guess it's time to get busy.

I love Hikari foods (I mean, my fish...LOL). I keep three varieties (blood worms, tubifex worms and their Tropical Flakes

Omega One is my staple food, flakes & freeze dried blood worms.
Wardley shrimp pellets.
Various brands of tubifex worms, freeze dried crickets, live bearer flakes & algae waffers as well as frozen brine shrimp & blood worms.

thx,

Dave

I LOVE the New Life Spectrum food also. Top notch in my book. Do they make a flake? If so, that's what I am buying next time. :D

lol i bought a big bag of the big als staple flake food and it is awsome. my fish love it and i also find that if u do over feed a little it doesnt get mouldy as fast as other foods. when i grind it up real small for my guppy fry some aalways gets to the bottom of the breeding box and i find that it doesnt go mouldy for days so it eventully gets eaten up before it goes bad. i am also way to cheap to buy any other brand. i feed all big als brand foods to my fish and no complaints yet :) i also bought hikari frozen blood worms for my gohst knife when i had him and that was excellent

Hikari foods - tubifex worms, brine shrimp, blood worms, algae pellets
Omega One - tubifex worms, brine shrimp, blood worms, spirulina
Wardley Shrimp pellets
Tetra Min tropical flakes
Wardley flakes
Tetra Dial a Meal Tropical flakes.
Top Fin - blood worms, algea thins

San Francisco Bay Frozen Foods - Cichlid Delight, Freshwater 4 in 1, Baby Brine Shrimp, Brine Shrimp enhanced with Spirulina, Blood worms, Squid, Mussels, Beefheart Plus

Hope this helps its not all we feed but its a small amount of the large variety that we feed.

New Life Spectrium is suppose to be the new and best prepared food for your fish.. And from the raves from members that I personaly respect there opinion.. Im likely going to buy it myself for my tank and use it as the only staple.. live, frozen and or home prepared foods being the rest of the feeding.. HTH

I'm using Wardley Tropical Flakes and supplemented with Aquarian sinking pellets for the cories, and Top Fin bloodworms. I have heard though that NLS and Omega One are better quality brands to consider. I am planning on trying them out once I run out of the Wardley. HTH

Back
Top Bottom