Which is better for 55 gallon finnex Ray 2 or finnex planted plus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppy4life

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I'm setting up my old 55 gallon aquarium (height: 48" length: 21" width: 12" ) and I would like to grow some low tech plants in the tank. I hope it will be heavily planted. I already do have a successful 10 gallon planted tank, but the lighting for the 10 gallon was a bit more simple, because of it's size. I've done some research and found 2 led lights with pretty good reviews the finnex ray 2 and the finnex planted plus. Which should I use for my 55 gallon? I saw on amazon that the Ray 2 is a bit more expensive then the planted plus. Is the planted plus 48" enough to grow low light plants in this tank? Or, do you think the Ray 2 is the way to go? I would buy the Ray 2 if I know for sure that the planted plus isn't enough for my low tech tank. Which route should I take?:thanks:

Hi, if you try the search function you will get answers or someone will know (different lights available here in Australia).

I have the 48" planted+24/7 on my 75gallon tank and a less powerful aqueon opti+ on my 55gallon tank.
A 75 and 55 are the same dimensions except for width, you should be fine.

I have the Current Satellite Pro+ which I chose over those fixtures. Great reviews, and very customizable, which the Finnex Planted+ is not as much. The only knock is the price though. It is also water repellant which I love and has it's own timer that I cusomtized. Everyone will have their own opinions when you get to the top tier lights, as there is not much difference. It is all personal preference and your pros/cons. Can't go wrong with either light you mentioned, or mine.

The finnex Ray 2 you will get a bit more par. Not saying it would be better because if running low tech may get algae. I did par data for the Finnex 24/7 Planted plus you can check. So you can kind of compare the two. I think you would be better off with the 24/7 due to not quite as powerful so less chance for algae but if you do decide for high tech and high lights it most likely may not be enough. Another light that may interest you is the Beamswork DHL 6500K. I also have this light and really like it. You can check the Par data for all the lights below. I did the Finnex 24/7 and Beamswork PAR data. The finnex Ray 2 and Beamswork DHL 6500K are very close par wise. Best dollar per par is the Beamswork.

Finnex 24/7 Par data Finnex 24/7 Planted PAR/LUX/Kelvin/PUR readings - The Planted Tank Forum
Beamswork DA FSPEC and DHL 6500Khttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-fspec-dhl-6500k-par-lux-kelvin-pur-data.html
Finnex Ray 2 Par data Finnex RAY II & FugeRAY PAR Data - The Planted Tank Forum

Last edited:
I agree with brenden. High powered lights in a low tech aquarium breed algae like no other. You don't want high powered light. The 24/7 is a lower par, but some say it can still cause algae because a light is always on at some point (moonlight stays on at night). So that can cause algae. That is actually what drove me away from that light because I could not control when it turned on, turned off, and if I wanted the moonlight to come on at all.

If you do go with Finnex 24/7 which I think would be best in your case you can tune down the light. But you cannot tune the 24/7 mode. But a custom setting at say 80% light could work if you do start to see algae. For the beamswork lights you can connect a dimmer if needed to also tune the par down a bit. All in what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom