Which is the best kit to test GH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
API Master Freshwater Water doesn't support GH and KH. Right now I am desperately looking for a test kit that can measure my GH. I read API 5 in one is not good. Read about Seara and used it also but it isn't good. Infact every kit I read I found many negative reviews.

Please suggest which kit you trust to test your GH and find it reliable in the long run. Thanks.

API sells KH-GH test kits as a set.
Yes but I read mixed reviews. Some say results are way off. That's why I came here to get from experience of people who are in this hobby for years. If no other recommendations then I will have to go for api.

Get the API test kit set, you will be fine :fish1:

I’ve used FW api gh kit no issues but my impression has been that any saltwater test kit could be better quality as readings perhaps more important for SW stability.

Kh a little harder. I think with test kits it is a trade off in price and time vs result. I’ve always found test kits to be give repeatable results and make sense broadly (ie tap water has no nitrates, etc).

But pool shops may sell kh test kits. I have one here for the pool that measures in 10ppm increments, was pretty cheap and I assume better as three solutions. The pool test kh kit generally reads a bit lower than API.

No idea which is correct [emoji35]Either way my tank and pool seem to go ok so not done much more to resolve.

Get the API test kit set, you will be fine :fish1:

I’ve used FW api gh kit no issues but my impression has been that any saltwater test kit could be better quality as readings perhaps more important for SW stability.

Kh a little harder. I think with test kits it is a trade off in price and time vs result. I’ve always found test kits to be give repeatable results and make sense broadly (ie tap water has no nitrates, etc).

But pool shops may sell kh test kits. I have one here for the pool that measures in 10ppm increments, was pretty cheap and I assume better as three solutions. The pool test kh kit generally reads a bit lower than API.

No idea which is correct [emoji35]Either way my tank and pool seem to go ok so not done much more to resolve.
Thanks guys. So I will go for Api then. Unfortunately not available here. Shipping is more than the price of kit itself

My GH and KH test kit on its way. Before that I was using strips but I discarted them and ordered api gh/kh kit. However I am confused over one thing. How to check KH with api kit or any similar. It says to put drops and wait till color changes and number of drops is your KH. But what if my KH is zero? I will put one drop and it will change color and I will count my KH as 1 but in reality its zero. So how to test for this?

It is my understanding that with the API kit, if you put one drop in and you don't get a blue color, you are at your zero (unreadable). If your first drop gives you a blue, add one drop at a time, shake with each drop, until you get a yellow. The number of drops that it takes to get to yellow is your dKH. :fish1:

It is my understanding that with the API kit, if you put one drop in and you don't get a blue color, you are at your zero (unreadable). If your first drop gives you a blue, add one drop at a time, shake with each drop, until you get a yellow. The number of drops that it takes to get to yellow is your dKH. :fish1:
Ah I see. Thanks a million.

Back
Top Bottom