Which paint to use on back of tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't readily get hold of Krylon Fusion that has been recommended to me - I can order it online but I really want to make use of my days off at Christmas time to get my upgraded goldfish tank set up and don't want to wait another two weeks.

I want to paint the back of the tank black - in a pinch I'll just use black plastic but the guy at Bunnings (hardware chain store) told me I'll have to use an undercoat/primer before painting glass and then a water based paint.

Wondering if anyone can advise me on this? As it's only the outside of the tank to be painted, does it matter what type of paint I use and is the undercoat/primer really necessary?

I use Rust-Oleum flat black paint. Have tanks that haven't had to be recoated or touched up in over 20 years. Just make sure the glass is clean and dry prior to spraying and don't try to do one thick coat; do two or three thin coats to get a nice even covering.

I've used cheaper brands and other more-expensive brands, but in the end Rust-Oleum is what I consistently get the best results with. In the end though, I think it comes down to makin' sure the glass is clean and dry and that even coats are applied, rather than the brand. I've had decent results with a number of brands. Rust-Oleum is what seems to go on the smoothest and what gives the evenest spray, IME.

blackb13.jpg

Here's a pic of one of my 90s, with inhabitants of course. :)

Edit: P.S. I've used cheap generic brands, and had decent results. The paint in them is generally thinner and doesn't go as far, so ya end up usin' more. It may last as long once applied, but ya don't save any money or really gain anything as ya may take two cans to achieve what a half a can of Rust-Oleum will. :)

WYite

I have painted my tank a few times (more out of boredom), I use acrylic paints and then use Rust-Oleum spray paint over that to prevent the acrylic paint from being accidentally chipped off. Here is my recent paint job on the 10G.

ForumRunner_20121223_022942.jpg

I have painted my tank a few times (more out of boredom), I use acrylic paints and then use Rust-Oleum spray paint over that to prevent the acrylic paint from being accidentally chipped off. Here is my recent paint job on the 10G.

That is awesome! How did you do it if you don't mind me asking? My mum is very talented artist also so this has given me some ideas.

I drew a picture first on a piece of paper, taped it on the outside of the empty tank so you can see it from the outside of the tank. Now the trick is that you have to paint backwards, paint the lines first then go from there. Also coat it with spray paint like WYite suggested so the acrylic doesn't get nicked or anything. I like the Rust-Oleum as well because it doesn't scratch off easily accidentally but I can still take it off with a razor blade if I want to repaint it down the road.

That's what I was thinking - that you'd somehow have to do it in reverse. Very cool thanks! Wow that gives lots of possibilities will have to run some ideas past my resident artist :)

Well you inspired me to do something a bit different. Glass mirror effect red tile cut into an "aum", glued onto the back of the tank and then sprayed over with black.

Can't wait for the sand to settle properly and get a better light, but you get the idea. I'm so happy with my unique tank so thanks for the inspiration!

image-1449329018.jpg

image-1013215011.jpg

Well you inspired me to do something a bit different. Glass mirror effect red tile cut into an "aum", glued onto the back of the tank and then sprayed over with black.

Can't wait for the sand to settle properly and get a better light, but you get the idea. I'm so happy with my unique tank so thanks for the inspiration!

Wow I like it!

Back
Top Bottom