Which pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cwabby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which Pleco stays under 6" or so? I have a 29 gallon and would love to have a sweet Pleco. I have no bottom feeders at the moment. All that is in there right now are 2 Rainbow fish, a few Zebra/Leopard Danio. Sadly we just lost our Rainbow Shark, but since the other fish seem so happy without the fear of him during feeding time, (Rainbow's colors getting brighter etc.) I'm not going that route again:( Miss him though. I know the tank would be too small for him anyways as he grew. I hear the Clown Pleco or Butterfly stays fairly small? I have no ghosties yet either and not sure if they would be eaten if Pleco was brought in. Would love any feedback - Thanks

Attachments

• 30gal2.jpg
    30gal2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 119
Plecos are fine with other fish... So you can get any other bottom feeder as long as there are hiding places... And by the looks of your tank, you'll be fine... Id go with the clown pleco... Mainly because its cheaper...

My husband has a clown pleco in his tank. He's really beautiful.

Can't tell from your photo, but be sure to have real driftwood for any pleco you have.

Both regular and albino bristlenose plecos stay about 6 in or less. Some other ones are clown, rubberlip/bull dog,

I have no bottom feeders at the moment.

I just wanted to confirm that you don't think of the pleco as a bottom feeder, because it is not. It consumes algae mostly and driftwood (a digestive necessity). If you're thinking it'll keep the bottom of your tank clean, ain't happening. ;)

Thanks everyone. Yes Lynda, I didn't word it correctly. I wanted a Pleco in general even to just see it lounge on the driftwood and not be considered a bottom feeder for the tank. They are so cute. The wood to the left of the photo is actually Mopani wood. Is this wood soft enough for the Pleco to nibble on? It took forever to get tanins out so I hope so lol..Otherwise I'll try a different kind of driftwood in there.

My BN's will go on both mopani and malaysian but they seem to prefer malaysian.

Back
Top Bottom