Which puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am about to buy a 20 gallon tank and am desperate to get a puffer or two to put in it. I have done my research and am now not sure whether to make it brackish or freshwater as I don't know whether to get 2 red-eye red-tail puffers or a south american puffer in freshwater or 1 or 2 figure eights in brackish.

The only thing that puts me off brackish (I love the figure eight puffers) is the extra investment in salt and a hydrometer, I am on a budget, and the SG confusion. However I also have 3 bumblebee gobies in freshwater at the moment and I have read they do well in brackish and get along with the figure eight puffer (although my water chemistry is hard and alkaline, about 8.0, and I have read that they can be kept in freshwater in these conditions with no problems, and they have been doing well).

The good thing about the red-eye red-tailed puffers is their smaller size and so could I get more, like two pairs, in a 20 gal? But would they get along with the bumblebee gobies? Same goes for the South-American, and would I be able to have two in there?

Sorry about the rambling :roll: , I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or strong opinions about the puffers or could help me weigh up the pros and cons.

I had thought about the dwarf puffers - the only thing is their inability to be kept with the bumblebee gobies as they are so aggressive. I am planning to have the tank well planted

Thanks for the link, I'm just indecisive! :D

Can anyone answer my questions about the red-eye red-tail and south american puffers? :)

ADFs said:
I had thought about the dwarf puffers - the only thing is their inability to be kept with the bumblebee gobies as they are so aggressive. I am planning to have the tank well planted
i do not know about keeping them with bumble bee gobbies since they are brackish fish, if you have your heart set on them you should be looking at brackish puffers. 8O
As far as i know DP are one of the least agressive of puffers :?
Thanks for the link, I'm just indecisive! :D

Can anyone answer my questions about the red-eye red-tail and south american puffers? :)
Red Eye Red Tail Puffer 1 puffer per 20 gallons

South American Puffer 1 puffer per 15 gallons

I have done quite a lot of research and although bumblebee gobies do well kept in brackish, on a brackish forum (and pufferfish.com etc) it was said that they can do well in hard, alkaline freshwater. Although I might try out the brackish thing with a figure eight.

DP are very aggressive and really can only be kept with otos and shrimp as far as I can make out. Although I haven't ruled them out.

And I think it is (occurding to pufferfish websites. pufferlist etc) 1 SA puffer per 20 gals and min tank size for red-eye red tail puffer is 10 gals. I don't think I could get two pairs in a 20 gal tank, I think it would be pushing it.

I think I'll buy the tank first and delay the descision.

Back
Top Bottom