Which side of tank to shim?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCieParagon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40G breeder tank and much to my dismay, it is off a bit. The water level on the left side of my tank is higher than the right by about 1/6 of an inch.

I know it's a stupid question, but I don't want it to be more out of whack.

That means the right side needs to come up, what are you shimming? Stand or tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That means that the tank is tilting down on the left, so you'll want to put a shim on the left side to raise it up a bit.

That means that the tank is tilting down on the left, so you'll want to put a shim on the left side to raise it up a bit.

Yup..i was thinking in terms of the water level as I am used to working with a level, thanks for clarifying coyne.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Let me try to make sure I understand correctly.

If you take your right hand and bring it across your chest and aim it at angle toward the sky, my tank's water level is like that that.

And I'll shim between stand and carpet

uh-oh... conflicting posts. Let me double check what I said before you do anything lol

You need to raise the side that the water is higher.

Test it with a water glass and you'll see why I say that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LOL. I actually took out pen and paper and drew it out. Im never so confident in what I say that Im afraid to double check myself.
As long as the OP doesnt end up with water all over the floor. (y)

Let me try to make sure I understand correctly.

If you take your right hand and bring it across your chest and aim it at angle toward the sky, my tank's water level is like that that.

And I'll shim between stand and carpet

Please correctly tell me as I now have shimmed both sides! Ahh!

Ok.. well, shimming both sides sorta defeats the purpose. :lol:

I think we have all come to the agreement that you need to put the shim on the left side.

Ok.. well, shimming both sides sorta defeats the purpose. :lol:

I think we have all come to the agreement that you need to put the shim on the left side.

I removed the shims from the right side and put all 3 on the left. It helped! Should I put a few more in? The level went down to 1/8 of an inch.

Sure, go ahead and get it as level as you can.

Keep an eye on how level it is from front to back as well. You may end up tilting it towards the back.

Back
Top Bottom