Which substate should I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chilledaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey just wondering if I should use ADA Aquasoil and Eco Complete together or alone? What do you guys reckon? I have a 35 gallon tank and diameters are 70x41cm

I used a 50/50 mix of Eco Complete and very small gravel. I don't know that you'd get any greater benefit by combining them in terms of length of time the substrate would feed plants. For rooted plants, you'll still need to use some root tabs after a couple of months.

Chilledaz your PM inbox is full, I haven't been ignoring your question. You need to empty the inbox before anymore PM's can come in. So the answer to the question you asked is yes, you can use Eco as a single substrate. I have that as a sole substrate in several tanks.

Chilledaz your PM inbox is full, I haven't been ignoring your question. You need to empty the inbox before anymore PM's can come in. So the answer to the question you asked is yes, you can use Eco as a single substrate. I have that as a sole substrate in several tanks.

Yeah sorry about that I forgot to delete msgs xD
Do you reckon my ph would still be 6 if I just use eco complete?

Would there be another reason for why my ph is so low?

What is your tap water ph after you let a cup sit out and aerate or stir it off and on for 24 hours? Information on your tank is needed to possibly answer that question. One thing tho is a ph of 6 can cause your BB to stop working so you need to address getting your ph up to at least 6.5

What is your tap water ph after you let a cup sit out and aerate or stir it off and on for 24 hours? Information on your tank is needed to possibly answer that question. One thing tho is a ph of 6 can cause your BB to stop working so you need to address getting your ph up to at least 6.5
I put an airstone into a bucket of tap water overnight and it was at 7! I plan to cycle it again since I haven't been adding ammonia since the ph trouble. Now I'm thinking of just keep the ph at 6 and just stocking fish suitable to that level!

At that low a ph your beneficial bacteria will not be active which can cause other problems. Personally I would raise it to at least 6.5 but that is up to you.

Should I raise it to 6.5 with baking soda just for the cycling process? Once its been cycled again can I leave it at 6?

If you want to leave it at 6 then don't bother with raising the ph as it will just stop the BB once the ph drops again. If you leave it at 6.0 just monitor your ammonia/nitrite levels.

So I guess I'll just do exactly what I did the first time then :)
Would the cycling process be faster this time? I haven't been adding ammonia since I ran out though.

If you add at least 80% of the substrate planted and with alot of fast growing stem plants, wisteria, and water sprite your tank will cycle faster.

Okay thanks! One last thing, after it's cycled which fish should I add in first?

What is your stock list? Usually it's add the least aggressive to most but there are exceptions to that rule so need to know what your adding.

What is your stock list? Usually it's add the least aggressive to most but there are exceptions to that rule so need to know what your adding.

I've decided to stock
1x dwarf gourami
8x neon tetra
6x celestial pearl danio
6x panda Cory
6x oto

I've decided to stock
1x dwarf gourami
8x neon tetra
6x celestial pearl danio
6x panda Cory
6x oto

You might want to rethink the CPD's as the dwarf gourami "might" cause them to be even more shy than they already are, plus it will definitely out compete them for food. My one dwarf gourami even chases my big angels when it comes to food. Just something to think about.

For stocking I'd do the neons, then the danio's, Panda's, and lastly the dwarf gourami. Don't add oto's until the tank is a minimum of 4 months old but preferably 6 months old. They don't do well in non-mature tanks and they are very hard to acclimate as most oto's are still wild caught.

Back
Top Bottom