Which veg do your fish like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieGal

Aquarium Advice Activist
This may have already been covered, but wondering if anyone can do a quick list, of what vegetables they feed their fish. I've tried the peeled peas and they love em!

I can't get a large variety of foods where I live... I only have dried bloodworms, flakes, tablet thingys and grain stuff (I'm very technical lol :oops: ). I can't get any live food here whatsoever and I feel really mean feeding them cruddy dried foods all the time.

Zucchini, cucumber, green beans, peas as aforementioned...

And it's not really a vegetable, but nori is a big favorite.

Mine love peas, zucchini, and spirulina algae wafers.

I've cut up a fresh zucchini and stuck the parts in a bag in a freezer to keep it longer. I just rubberband the frozen zuc to a rock and let it thaw in the tank. Lettuce didn't go over so well (perhaps it should be cooked first?)

What is nori? A type of seaweed?

I have only had success with peas. Nothing in my tank will touch cucumbers. Haven't tried zucchini yet though.

nori is the sea weed wrap used to make sushi. it can be found in the "cultural" aisle in most larger grocery stores. around here it's $3-4 for 10 sheets that are (i don't remember exact dimensions, haven't made sushi in a while) approx 6x9 inches.

what type of fish do you have aussiegal? since you mentioned live foods you obviously have something that might "hunt". one live food that my puffer LOVES is crickets and you can get those at just about any fish or pet store. so maybe that's some help.

-brent

hey is nori a dried seaweed? because we eat it all the time :) its called geem or something

aquababy--if you try peas, make sure they are cooked and peeled.

If the seeds are large in the zucchini or cucumber, I scrape them out. My fish like to eat the inner parts of those veggies. Well, the cichlids don't care, a 4" chunk is engulfed overnight :roll: PIGS!!

I put a piece of romaine lettuce on a veggie clip, they munch on that. I put it in the freezer for a bit to soften it up.

peas and zucchini is what we have used so far. Polly(pleco) and the otos just love it...actually our betta goes crazy over the peas as well!

what type of fish do you have aussiegal?

Thanks for the info guys. I dont actually have any 'hunting' fish any more. I have 2 large gourami, one dwarf and one of my clown loaches is huge, the rest are reasonably small fish. They all seem to be pigs when it comes to food though, so just wanted to give them more variety.

When I tried the peas, most of my fish loved them. Can't wait to try out the other veg that were suggested. I'm thinking maybe slightly cooked brocoli... the little bits might go down well with them. Will definately look for some nori too!

Thanks again :D

you can get it unsalted. if my grandma doesnt salt it then we eat it with this soy sauce sesame seeds dried pepper and sesame oil mix with rice. pretty much sushi

Back
Top Bottom