While on Vacation: Lights On or OFF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going on a 5 day trip.
Got my Auto Feeder up an running with programming to feed twice a day a set amount above my feeding ring.
I was wondering how should I leave the lights? Currently I turn on the Day Lights in the morning and then switch to Night Lights in the evening then turning them off during night till next morning when I start all over.
Now that I'm not going to be able to operate the lights how should I leave them. Will also leave one deem light on in the kitchen, my tank being on the counter between kitchen and dining room.
Please advise, thank you.

[FONT=&quot]
55 GAL Marineland[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] (70 G Penguin 350B & 40G Sponge) filters w/fake plants
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1x Balloon Ram (male) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Swordtail [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3x Kuhli Loach [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Black Kuhli
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1x Blue Dwarf Gourami (male)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2x Bronze Cory[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Flame Dwarf Gourami (female)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Electric Blue Ram (female)[/FONT]

I have heard the auto feeders aren't relaible, you fish will be fine for five days without food. As long as you don't have real plants the lights can stay off or get a cheap timer for your lights.

I keep all my aquarium lights on timers, just so they go on and off at the same times everyday. they are only a couple bucks, you can get them at just about any box store including walmart, or any hardware store. i'm sure they also have them at petstores, prolly more expensive tho. If you cant get one i think i would leave the light off, i would think leaving it on 24/7 while your gone would cause big algae problems, and also stress the fish.

I have heard the auto feeders aren't relaible, you fish will be fine for five days without food. As long as you don't have real plants the lights can stay off or get a cheap timer for your lights.

+1 ... 5 days without feeding is usually not a problem for fish. Get a basic timer and just set the daylights.

Back
Top Bottom