White Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think I have white algae. I've never seen this before. It's sort of see-through and stringy. It's growing all over the inside of my 10 gal. Anyone ever had this? What causes it and what gets rid of it?

I'm thinking of putting in my recently discovered snails in take care of business.

White algae? Thats a new one on me; then again LOL what do I know. Maybe its actually mold/fungus? What exactly has it taken hold of (decor, walls, etc)?

it's on everything - the filter intake, the walls, the plants, the rocks. I've done two major water changes, scrubbed down the little castle decoration, and no improvement. I don't really know what mold/fungus would look like. This stuff as I said is sort of stringy. It reminds me of the little pieces of down that can seep out of pillows/duvets.

Yeah, its sounds like mold/fungus. I know Madame_X was having a prob with it as well (see here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=9347 ). You may want to PM her and see if she came up with any solutions.

I also wonder (thinking out loud here mind you), if salt would help eradicate it. I have absolutely no scientific basis for this idea...and of course you'd need to be sure all your fish can handle salt, but it might be something to try.

i don't think salt will work! i'm in the middle of a fungus problem and perhaps it's coincidental, but i think that salt has INCREASED the fungus reproduction!!!

Back
Top Bottom