White bumps on angel... PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelLover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a water change today and noticed my angel has several white, raised bumps on both sides of his face. No other fish has this symptom and they are no where else on his body. Water parameters are always in check and I have not added any fish for months

I do have a mating male in the tank that will peck at him when he gets too close to his lady. He generally aims for the areas where these spots are but I don't think they are from injury?

I am raising temp and adding salt in case it's ick. I noticed he has had a decrease in appetite. I am freaking out this is my favorite angel. Here are some pics... What is this?!

IMG_20130203_215027.jpg
ForumRunner_20130203_215609.jpg
ForumRunner_20130203_215621.jpg

Did you add any new plants, or fish to your tank in the last week or so?

Did you add any new plants, or fish to your tank in the last week or so?

Nope! That's why I'm so perplexed. Most recent changes are I removed two angels and three Cory cats today (before i noticed the spots) to start up an unused tank. I added an Adonis pleco about two months ago which has added a lot more poo to the tank but we have been keeping up with our water changes. He is swimming fine, no bloat, but he has been eating less

That's really strange! I would do what you suggested with the salt and raising the temp. Hopefully everything goes good. I'm having some problems with a fish too. Hoping we both have our fish turn out good

That's really strange! I would do what you suggested with the salt and raising the temp. Hopefully everything goes good. I'm having some problems with a fish too. Hoping we both have our fish turn out good

Thank you! I hope your fish is OK too!

I did a water change today and noticed my angel has several white, raised bumps on both sides of his face. No other fish has this symptom and they are no where else on his body. Water parameters are always in check and I have not added any fish for months

Alot of time these white pimples on the face of angelfish are the first stage of Hole in the Head disease. When they pop they leave a hole which continues to enlarge if not treated. You need to do some reading/research of this. I'm not saying for sure that is what is happening but I've seen this before and that is usually what it is.

Alot of time these white pimples on the face of angelfish are the first stage of Hole in the Head disease. When they pop they leave a hole which continues to enlarge if not treated. You need to do some reading/research of this. I'm not saying for sure that is what is happening but I've seen this before and that is usually what it is.

I did some reading and I think you are right. Ugh! My fish store has meds for HITHD hopefully it's in stock. I'm assuming it is contagious?

Often times Hole in the Head is caused by the Hexamita parasite which I know is controveral. So were it me I would also use this food, the first one on the list, along with whatever treatment you use to be safe instead of sorry IMO... Fish Antibiotic Medication.

Well I've got him in qt and have temp at 82.... I also bought general cure for parasites and hikari frozen bloodworms enriched with vitamins. Do you think I should treat with meds immediately or wait to see if he improves? He's stressed from moving him and I'm afraid dosing him will be too much to bear!

IMO the sooner you treat the problem the better chance it has of recovering. If he needs to adjust to the new tank and heat I wouldn't wait more than a day to start treatment.

IMO the sooner you treat the problem the better chance it has of recovering. If he needs to adjust to the new tank and heat I wouldn't wait more than a day to start treatment.

I will start today then thank you

Just wanted to let you know I think you were spot on with the HITH diagnosis. I started meds yesterday and this morning some of the white spots were gone with small holes left in their place. I'm going to keep his water as clean as possible and then maybe use melafix to help heal the holes once the parasites are gone and he's done with the parasite need. hopefully he makes it....I read an article that HITH is chronic and it might just keep coming back. Ugh!

Back
Top Bottom