White cloud minnows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to the lfs and picked up a bunch of feeder minnows for my frog. I thought maybe I should vary his diet a little. So I fed him the brown ones over the course of a week, and then I was looking at the cute little pinkish white ones, and thought, hey, they are kind of cute. Maybe I should keep them.

Are these called White Cloud Minnows? Are they compatible with tropical fish such as platys, mollies, guppies and tetras? How big do they get, do they stay small? I have a few empty tanks I could put them in if they stay small. I would like to mix them in with my tropicals if I may. What do you think? They are in an unheated tank now, but I am wondering if they can be in a tropical tank? I think they are kind of cute and shouldn't be fed to Godzilla after all. And I do feel kind of guildty keeping fish and feeding other fish to the frog, and he doens't really NEED live food...what do you think? A big question is how big they get...

They do adapt to a topical tank as long as it isn't to warm. They only get about 1.5 inches and are pretty easy to breed.
White Clouds

They sound like rosey reds to me too (aka fathead minnows).

Can they be kept as pets with other fish? I put a few in with my platys and rasboras, and they are doing fine.

I actually have a few plain brown fatheads on order. I like their personality and they are good community fish. Just watch out, if your let them one male can raise up a *lot* of fry.

Really? Are they livebearers? How do they breed? I would think that most of the time the other fish in the tank would eat the fry.

The female lays eggs under a rock or in a cave and the male guards them and cares for them.

Back
Top Bottom