white colored growth on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my aquarium for about a month now, but have already had a run in with some Ich due to the poor quality of the fish at Walmart. Anyways...long story, and i'm about to start fresh. But I have just started to notice a white growth on the walls of my tank. It looks just like algae, but not green. Any ideas what it is? I have already learned a lot from reading other posts in this forum, and I searched around a bit but couldn't find anything on this particular problem. Thanks.

How long has it been since you cleaned your tank, and what are the parameters (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, etc)?

The white stuff on the glass is usually a good sign of either an underfiltered tank, or one that needs to be cleaned.

It's more than likely an algae bloom. It should dissipate in a while. How long has your tank been set up and what are the inhabitants?

Edit - Disregard set up question.

I don't know too much about the nitrite and nitrate levels, though I do use Tetra's Easy Balance weekly. I guess I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some kind of fungus that would infect future fish. There are no inhabitants at the moment thanks to Ich. I think i'm just gonna clean it out real good, let it run for a while, then try again. I use a Whisper 10 Power Filter, is that not enough filtration?

Well how many gallons is the tank? If it's 10 gallons or less then it's fine.

It's more then likely Planaria, it tends to multiply fast when there is excess food in the tank, vaccuum the gravel well, wipe down the tank walls and keep to feeding once a day, (and only feed what they will eat in 1-2 mins) and it will stay at an un-noticable level..

The only way to remove it completely that I know of is to bleach the whole setup down..

It won't harm the fish, but from what I've read it will harm fry..

hth

Back
Top Bottom