white crustry stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeltank

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so i have white crusty stuff on the outside of my fish tank on the bottom by the plastic but its on the glass any idea what it is or what causes it?

Its mostly minerals that adhere to the glass when the water evaporates. I noticed once I planted my 10g more heavily I didn't notice it as much. I never really thought about it but maybe the plants are using up some of the minerals.

A razor blade or sometimes even a magfloat will get rid of it. As far as on the trim itself get a wet paper towel and wipe it off. Hope it helps!

That is prob hard water deposits, gets it whenever I splash water on the tank & letting it dry. Using a vinegar soaked rag will soften the deposits & make it easier to remove.

One thing to check is that it is not the start of a slow leak. Sometimes water that is slowly leaking out will dry before it puddles, forming these deposits. <After you remove the stuff, dry & check that it doesn't get wet all on its own.>

It is possible. Either that or you had a fairly large puddle from doing your water changes. Even then I don't think it would leave more than like a water spot. I would clean it up real good and try to see if the silicone is cracked somewhere. You might just have to re-seal it to be safe. I would try your best to inspect it though.

I had a buddy who had a leak. We taped a paper towel to the corner and let it sit for a few minutes and when we came back we could see right where it was coming from. We looked closer and saw the silicone was peeling back some so we had to re-seal it.

Back
Top Bottom