White fluff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashleekbrain

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help! There's a layer of white fluff on everything in my tank... What is it? It's even on the top of the water.. Is it mould?? Please get back to me asap!

Welll sometimes alegea can grow when theres not alot of light in or around the tank... So yea

White fluff doesnt sound like algae, especially in the dark. Some pictures are necessary I would say.

No wood. It's a new tank. It's got plastic stuff in it..

Attachments

• image-2910780235.jpg
    image-2910780235.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 245
I washed verything thoroughly before putting it In and when I first saw that I redid the tank, washed everythin. Changed the water etc

Do you have any fish in there and how long has your tank been established.

That's a bacteria called saprolegnia. Take what ever fish you have out and quarintine them somewhere and completely redo everything because a trace amount can harm your fish in the Gill area even rinse your filter out very well

Thanks jonothan. There's no fish in there. I've had the tank for a few weeks. What can I do after cleaning the tank again to stop this stuff coming back?

Ashleekbrain said:
Thanks jonothan. There's no fish in there. I've had the tank for a few weeks. What can I do after cleaning the tank again to stop this stuff coming back?

Well to my knowledge its from leftover uneaten food so just feed your fish every 2 days. Remember their stomach is only about as big as their eyes and vacuum your tank regularly

Back
Top Bottom