White Fluffy Stuff Growing from Gravel - help me !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vulturepeak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 29g FW tank 'had' a fairly rapid 'growing' white fuzz on the gravel. I broke it down, cleaned everything, rebuilt it - and now - five weeks later - IT'S BACK !!!!!! :cry: I soaked the gravel in bleach, scrubbed the plumbing - it's making me crazy.

The stuff appears to be 'rooted' to the surface of the gravel. It will generally take some gravel with it when pulled.

Fishies seem healthy. No other apparent problem. (the teardown did remind me not to overfeed).

Need brilliant idea. Will take not so brilliant suggestions as well.

I would not "break down" the tank anymore. That probably won't fix the problem and actually puts you back to square one. After such a vigorous cleaning, all the nitrifying bacteria are gone and your tank has to cycle again.
How much light do you have over this tank and how often/how large are your water changes?

Mark

It's a fungus, caused by overfeeding and not removing the excess food. It is quite common, and not harmful to the fish, provided you clean it up.

1) Feed no more than the fish will eat in a couple of minutes, and remove any uneaten foods.
2) Use catfish and other bottom feeding scavengers to help keep it clean
3) Vacuum your gravel regularly as well as regular water changes.

I wish you had found us and posted this before going to all that work, it wasn't necassary and as Mark said, put you back at square one.

Back
Top Bottom