White fluffy "stuff" on walls of aquarium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mofo2713

Aquarium Advice Freak
First time posting!!!!

My 20 gal tank is in its 3rd week of cycling...I just did a 25% water change yesterday to bring down nitrite level a bit to keep fish happy... and today I noticed all over the walls are very very tiny white cloudy "things" stuck to it. They seem to sway back and forth a lttle with water current but are very hard to see unless you are looking for them... Just wondering what they are. Any help/suggestions would be nice...

Welcome to AA, I know how you feel about those little white things, been there, done those! they are annoying for sure. I rid mine by cleaning the glass and vacuming gravel like every other day, finally, they went away.

been there, done those, annoying for sure I rid mine by dutifully cleaning the glass and vacuming gravel finally the went away,
ps welcome
:?:
A little courtesy will go a long way glasstapper!

see? it's so hard to put context into text, my most gracous apologies, i made corrections,, tks it didn't look right after i read it either

it appears as if they are growing from the bottom of the tank walls on upward. will do a 20% water change tomorrow with some gravel sucking and wall scraping/wiping.... hope it works

You need to figure out why they are there. Excessive nutrients are probably to blame and perhaps a lack of a clean tank.
What size tank is it and how many fish are in there?

It is a 20 gal with 4 neon tetras, 3 algae eaters, couple guppies and a 4 other random tetras...total of about 13-15 fish. I feed them twice a day, but don't really have any idea on how much to feed them at once.....I don't think I do but any advice is greatly appreciated....

Sounds like planaria - most of us have gone through it. Follow the advice above and it'll resolve. Cut way back on feeding (the fish will be fine) for 4-5 as well.

the fish can go without food for 4-5 days?!?!?!?!? WOW. That seems like a long time.... All I have in the aquarium is some wisteria. It just seems odd that they could go that long... that is what you mean right?

TankGirl, what "advice above" were you talking about...?

I rid mine by cleaning the glass and vacuming gravel like every other day, finally, they went away.

That advice is what I was referring to, and it looks like you are already following it.

Yes, the fish can actually go 2 weeks without food, in most cases, so fear not. I don't mean you should regularly fast your fish or anything, but to correct water quality issues or to get rid of critters that multiply in the presence of excess food matter on the bottom, a short fast is going to help you get things under control.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom