white fuz in betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a male betta in a 2 gal tank by himself, and there appears to be a white fuz on the bottom of the tank. He is eating normal but isnt swimming alot, he mainly just sits in his plant. I didnt cycle the tank before he was put in :oops: and it seems to be cycling now ive been doing frequant 20% water changes ever 3 days. It seem like this literal appeared over night. The fuzz is so thick that it sits at the bottom of the tank, but i am able to scoop it out. Can anyone help me??? Also should i continue with the water changes and scoop it out as much as possible?

I never have cycled betta tanks, so it's not a problem. They always do seem to get this wispy fuzz in the bottom of their tanks- I still don't know what it is. I usually so this once every month or so:

dip some tank water out in a small glass or betta cup.

net the betta and place him in the cup

dump all the water out of the tank, take that plants out

fill the tank with hot water

scrub the sides with a freebie toothbrush from the dentist or clean sponge (no chemicals)

scrub the plant (if it's false)

swish the water around with the rocks to knock debris at detrius off

rinse and repeat

arrange rocks and plants as you like

refill with water from the tap and then dechlorintate or use water that has stood out for 24 hours

net betta and replace in tank.

As for betta bowls, I do the same with the cup of water and betta, and then I swish hot water, rinse and drain several times before I add the water with the right temp and dechlor. I do this complete water change in my betta bowls/vases once a week.

thank u very much. I was sooo scared something might be wrong.
Also I have well water so there is no clorine in it, and i alwas let the water stand for 24 hours atleast b4 changes, i have betta plus(i dunno if ouve hed of it,it claes to make tap water safe fo bettas and promots a health slime coat) and i also have declorinator(it sas it instantl kills amonia and of course clorine i usuall just juse the distilled water and the betta plus, is this okay???or should i use the declorinator also?? or just used distilled water and thats it???

Don't use distilled water, just use the water from the tap with your dechlor and/or stresscoat. The dechlor will zap all the chlorine if you use the dosage according to the label, and the stresscoat will help your fish with the transition. :D

Okay!!! I changed the tank and everything seems to be good. I cleaned it all out and added new water and the betta plus, i couldnt find the dechlorinator off hand so i desided it wasn't nessasary cause I haven't been using it so far.

I see this white fuzz also, whenever my bettas are in a bowl with no substrate, for QT. In between cleanings, you could just syphon it out with a turkey baster.

hmmmmmmmm great idea!!! I'll try that. He is alot happier sence his water change.

Yes, it could be some uneaten food, or poop. I do notice that if my betta is in the QT bowl, I have to use a turkey baster to remove the poop, or it collects that white fuzz around it. I thought this was because the bowl is not cycled, and there is no bacteria to break it down, so it sits there and collects that fuzzy stuff. I just remove it once or twice a day with the baster.

hmmmm makes sence. I'll try cutting back a lil on food and keep a closer eye on the water

I only notice the white fuzz in a QT bowl (uncycled, obviously :wink: ) with no substrate on the bottom. I never saw any in the main tank. And luckily neither betta has been in QT for quite awhile!

Back
Top Bottom