white fuzz growing in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i came back from my camping trip early (due to weather) to find that my tank has a white fuzz growing all over the tank. my boyfriend uses "cycle" by "nutrafin" and it says it creates a flora of bacteria to make the tank safe for fish. could this white fuzz be this "flora of bacteria". has anyone ever used this product? or is it some kind of algae? How do i get rid of it? it's all over the glass, the drift wood, rocks, and plants!

I doubt it's bacteria, and they definitely wouldn't market a blanket of white fuzz. It's probably algae or some fungus?

--Adeeb

What type of "White Fuzz" ? Is it like white Snot ? like slimmy?
Is it growing on drift wood? If so, is the drift wood new?
Reason i'm asking drift wood, is because I had a similar experience when I first started and it was growing on my drift wood. It lasted about 2 weeks, then eventually disapeared.

What does it taste like? It's probably a fungus. Just physically take out what you can and let time do the rest.

Reason i'm asking drift wood, is because I had a similar experience when I first started and it was growing on my drift wood. It lasted about 2 weeks, then eventually disapeared.
She specifically said its on the driftwood lol

Yes it's on everything, glass, rocks and DW and plants! The drift wood is not new we've had it for almost a month? and the guy we bought it from had it in his tank for a few months too.

What does it taste like? It's probably a fungus. Just physically take out what you can and let time do the rest.

We've used our magnetic brush thing to wipe it off the glass, and my bf just did a pwc and tried to suck some of it off of the dw and rocks. it just shook right off the plants. My bf thinks that its possible with this "cycle" stuff we've been using when it creates its "flora of bacteria" when the sand gets stirred up it lands on the bacteria and sticks to it? i dont know if that makes sense?

do you think its harmful to my fish?

It's not harmful to the fish. Probably just some fungal or bacterial blooms. Do water changes and increase aeration if you can. I doubt it's the flora of bacteria thing. But I may be wrong haha.

i havent been able to get rid of this stuff. i was able to get a couple pics, maybe some can ID it, what i need to do to get rid of it.
058.jpg059.jpg060.jpg061.jpg

i was thinking if its just algae can i just move my otos from my 20 gal into this tank?

Back
Top Bottom