White Fuzz on Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GettoLoser

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, Sorry to bother all that reads this, but I was wondering if anyone can help me.

I am new to this site, and I think I am posting in the correct place, if not I am extremely sorry.

My problem is that I am having this growth of white fuzz looking things on my glass, and anything glass like the thermometer in the tank as well. It does not seem to be growing on anything else. It moves slowly waving back and forth in the water.

It is not slimy to touch, its not rough...I actually cant feel it, but trying to get rid of it us quite difficult. I have to scrub with quite alot of pressure, and if using a mag-float(magnetic glass cleaner) it takes 10-12 times of back and forth movement to remove it.

It also comes back fast. I clean the glass around 1am, I wake up at around 8am and its all back almost.

It is a 36 Gallon Tank.
I have 2 Hang on the Back Filters. 1 Aquaclear 50/ 1 Marineland Bio wheel for upto 50gallon.

I use API water conditioner to treat my water, and then I use API stresscoat after each water change.

I have done about 4-5 Water changes in the last 3 weeks, almost 50% water changes each time.

Light is only on for 6/8 hours.. I even kept the light off for 3 days..and the only light it got was from my lamp.

I currently have 1 medium sized Angle Fish, 3 Emerald Catfish/ 3 Albino Cat fish/ and 4 Male Fancy Guppies.

Iv had this tank for about 3 months, Iv had the fish for 5 from a smaller tank I upgraded. This problem started about 1 month ago.

I have a heater installed that's rated for a 30 Gallon tank,,(my tank is 36gallons)

Also I use test strips to test my water, and all my parameters seem fine... Low to None in Nitrates and Nitrites. pH is slightly Acidic towards 6.5

Also to keep Nitrates and Nitrites low I use API Nitra-Zorb, which I place in my filter behind my carbon filter.
I also use Acurel F (water Cleaner) and sometimes also use Prime brand Water conditioner.

I only have 1 live plant, which is a Moss ball from Petsmart.

There is 1 air stone making bubbles, i have even replaced the stone and air pipe twice in case it had growth on it that was causing this white fuzz.

Iv reduced feeding, and even now skipping days and feeding every other day.

Below I am giving some pictures, as I know it is very hard to diagnose these things over the internet.

Iv tried to be as detail as possible, but please feel free to ask me if I did mention something that is needed..

And thank you for taking the time for reading this, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note, I have a 10gallon tank with a small Blue Electric crayfish/lobster, and this same problem occurred. The lobster was originally in the 36 gallon, until he tired to eat the fish so I moved him. So I thought maybe the Lobster was the cause of the white stuff since it happened in his new 10 gallon tank. But to fix that problem, I took out the lobster and Washed all the Gravel and tank and everything in the 10 gallon tank with hot water scrubbed good, and then re-set up the tank, and now its gone and has not come back. ( So maybe it wasnt the lobster??)

But I would like to try not to empty out my entire 36gallon and all the fish to fix this problem. Thanks again.

Pictures

Cant seem to upload pictures...trying to figure it out...

Welcome!
First off, no need to apologize. That's what forums like this are for, to ask questions. This is the best non-biased advice you will get. I wouldn't worry about the stuff on the glass. I get it too and a quick swipe with the magnet glass cleaner and it is all gone. I have found that the acrylic pad works better than the glass pad even though I have a glass tank. The algae won't hurt anything.

Just so you know the lobster will eat anything it can catch. I was about to buy one unti l I realized they will destroy all my plants and eat all my fish. The best fish to put it with are cichlids.

If you don't have it, get the API liquid tests, they are more accurate than the strips. Your nitrites need to be zero. From the sound of it you are putting a lot of different chemicals in the water. Did you ever cycle your tank?

Back
Top Bottom