white... fuzzy... algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK very very basics in case you don't want to read the lengthy stuff below: There is some fuzzy white stuff growign on my driftwood. It's a patch about the size of 2 quarters. What is it?

So the basics: My tank:

55 gallon
2 heaters (water temp ~78 degrees)
Penguin Biowheel 350

Fish: 1 male betta, 6 cold barbs, 6 corys, 5 white clouds, 5 platys, 6 yoyo loaches, 5 zebra danios, a few lone surviving annoying snails that my yoyos haven't been able to get to or something

Plants: various... about 3 of the onion plants, an amazon sword, anubius of some kind, water sprites floating on top

The problem: I recently added in 2 pieces of driftwood. I soaked them for a week before putting them into my tank. I bought them on ebay, and they said they were pre treated with heat, no chemicals, were aquarium safe etc. I soaked them, like I said to make sure they would sink and to make sure everything was ok. No problems, so I transferred them to my tank about a week ago. Today, I noticed this white fuzzy stuff growing on the underside of one of the pieces of wood. It's just a small path, pobably the size of a couple quarters. My water parameters are excellent, 0 ammonia, the lowest color on nitrites, lowest color that's not negative on the nitrates, I've been doing weekly/biweekly 25% water changes and have not added any chemicals to the tank.

I googled a few things, and found one mention of this stuff. The guy said it was harmless, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or knew anything about it?

None of my fish seem harmed. In fact, over the past week or so I've been noticing that my white clouds are really deepening in color and are just beautiful! I moved the fish to the 55 gallon I want to say about a month ago, and used all my old rocks, filter, decorations etc. to cycle it. There was mini cycle the first week, with ammonia going to a maximum of about .75 ppm, which lasted about a day. It seems like all the fish have grown since going into the bigger tank, and everyone is eating like crazy, happy healthy, etc. Even my plants look beautiful and are growing fast.

So, sorry so long, any idea what this stuff is?

Anytime I put new peice of driftwood in one of my tanks, I get the same white fungus growing on them. It appears harmless and the fish like to eat it.

Awesome. thanks! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was somehow doing wrong :)

Back
Top Bottom