White Fuzzy stuff.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

under777

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a model brian with eyeballs made and displayed in a 1.5 aquariam. I painted and glued the brian and glued the whole thing to the bottom of the aquariam. I did not put the filter in, just the air hose so it will gave bubbles. After a week there is this white fuzzy substance on the brian and eyeballs. The water is giving off an odd sweet smell. Can someone tell me what this substance is and how to get rid of it? Don't ask why I have a brian in an aquariam.

my guess the paint and/or the glue is not aquarium safe? leaching toxins into your aquarium

White Fuzzy Stuff

my guess the paint and/or the glue is not aquarium safe? leaching toxins into your aquarium

Any ideas of an aquariem chemical that can kill the fungus without me having to clean it all the time or do you think hydrogen peroxide or clothes bleach might work?

Didn't Brian have a say before you put him into the aquarium? :p jk, I would take it out immediately, it doesn't sound good and it could ruin the water and kill your fish. There's some chemical that's toxic in there, and it probably won't do much good to just disinfect it. Just remove it and find another (aquarium safe) decoration.

+1 on removing it. There are tons of helpful articles on here that can help you understand the dos and dont's of aquarium keeping. Good luck and welcome to AA, I feel like this post is in the wrong place though. lol

It is in the wrong place. Probably didn't even take the time to search for the correct place to post, considering this is the first forum on the entire board... Probably just wanted his answers quickly without thinking about anyone but himself.. or even thinking about the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved to Freshwater General Discussion.

Guys, don't be afraid to report posts. That is why we include that feature! :)

For those that don't know how to report posts, click the red and white triangle with a line in it (that is below their username). Type a brief description of what is wrong and the mods will take care of it.

I'm sorry. I spelled that wrong. It's a model brain. I have no fish. I saw a mad scientist halloween prop at a halloween site for a unit to put a brain in suspended automation. It cost too much so I made my own. There is no fish, but I didn't want the smell from the fungus or whatever it is getting into the air.

Didn't Brian have a say before you put him into the aquarium? :p jk, I would take it out immediately, it doesn't sound good and it could ruin the water and kill your fish. There's some chemical that's toxic in there, and it probably won't do much good to just disinfect it. Just remove it and find another (aquarium safe) decoration.

Since you don't intend to put fish in that aquarium...you can use chlorine to kill the bacteria/fungus.

I'm sorry. I spelled that wrong. It's a model brain. I have no fish. I saw a mad scientist halloween prop at a halloween site for a unit to put a brain in suspended automation. It cost too much so I made my own. There is no fish, but I didn't want the smell from the fungus or whatever it is getting into the air.

Lol do you plan to get an aquarium with fish? If so then we can help, ,but if not I don't think the above posts apply because you don't have to worry about killing anything... this is a fish forum silly ::grab:

I didn't know we could report posts that are in the wrong place, *now I know* :)

Back
Top Bottom