White 'Junk' growing on Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt N

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I recently re-arranged my tank ready for some new fish, but that's been delayed at the moment because the tank has entered a mini cycle.

Anyway, while looking around the tank today, looking for new plant shoots, I spotted some white mucus looking stuff growing on a piece of wood.

I've never had wood before, and this bit has only been in the tank for about a week. The other three different bits of wood all look fine. They're a different make though.

This is the one here; Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus

Should I be worried? Or just scrape it off like algae? The first picture is the white spongy stuff. The second is a picture of the small bit of wood, behind the Amazon Sword.

I'm wondering if it may be affecting my Ammonia.

Matt.

Attachments

• 20012011240.jpg
    20012011240.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 116
  • 20012011242.jpg
    20012011242.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 106
Assuming it's not fish eggs, I would suggest boiling the wood. I bought some driftwood recently that had some hard white stuff on it. I wasn't sure if it was a lichen or a fungus or what. I boiled it and rinsed it off and the white stuff was gone.

Looking up the side there is little red/brown eggs. It's not fish eggs though, my tank is empty at the moment. I'll give boiling a go tomorrow, and see how it goes.

Matt.

Matt, I had this problem with some driftwood I had awhile back. It eventually went away of its own accord... but I would think boiling could speed that up.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I've not boiled the wood yet, I haven't found anything large enough to submerge the wood in.

Good news though, like you said, fort384, the white stuff has gone at the bottom of the wood. There's still a few 'eggs' up the side though, no idea what this is, but I'm guessing they will also go in time as well.

If I find something large enough I'll still give the wood a boil though. But so far, just leaving it has seemed to have worked as well.

Matt.

A lot of people seem to get this(me included) with new driftwood. I've heard it's either algae or bacteria. It's not harmful and will eventually go away on it's own.

--Adeeb

That's good to know. I'll let it run it's course in the tank, now most has cleared up.

The other three new bits of wood are fine, it's just this root wood with it.

Back
Top Bottom