White powder on new Kordon bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZoePets

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a delivery of Kordon breather bags, but I noticed there was a white powdery substance on them. Anyone know what it is? Is it safe for fish/shrimp? Do I wash it off first?

Thanks!

Here's a pic!

Attachments

• IMG_20150605_175852.jpg
    IMG_20150605_175852.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 82
Mine have been/are the same.
I would not worry.
I never rinsed any of mine and have had no troubles.
What are you shipping?????

I'm actually not entirely sure what I've got!

I started off with red rili shrimp, but the offspring mostly aren't rili. They have red heads for the most part with varying levels of bee-like bands making them look either almost clear, to somewhat like a red cherry shrimp.

I want to have two tanks so I have somewhere to house the culls. I would think that over time the quality of both my keepers and culls would improve and I would thus have better shrimp to offer!

That powder is usually a form of food-grade diatomaceous earth. It's a desiccant to keep the bags from sticking to each other and prevents mold and mildew growth in the bag pores which allow gas exchange. Perfectly harmless for aquatic fauna and flora ☺️

? Diana Lee ?
? the Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

Ahh... That makes a lot of sense. And the bags really are slippery and didn't stick together!

Back
Top Bottom