White skirt Tetra Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I woke up this morning I found a dead Long skirt black tetra. I was puzzled as to why he was dead....this afternoon I noticed my biggest White skirt tetra was nipping at and ramming one of my long skirt black tetra and then I started wondering if that was the cause of death for the other long skirt black tetra I found this morning. Is this possible and why would a fish all of a sudden get aggressive like that? Any idea? Thanks.

I have white skirts and some are peaceful some are obnoxious. I'm sure you're aware of the whole they're "schooling fish, tank size yadda yadda yadda" so I wont bother with that. From what I've read these fish are just hit or miss. I would try separating the problem child for a time if possible. He/she may have just outgrown the tank and or may have some other issue biologically going on...or just may be the seed of satan so I would definitely try separating for a time and gradually reintroducing (i.e. and in tank divider if practical). If the problem persists it may be time to re-home him/her.

I have white skirts and black skirts in separate tanks. Both species are known to be nippy to other fish with long fins, hence the white skirts activity.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the info. Any idea why they would start doing it now? They have been in the tank together since the last day of December 2014...

Was the tank fully cycled and established when they were added? If not they may have been more docile during that process due to shock from the changing water parameters. They may also have just developed some natural territorial behavior over time. I love the look of white skirts but this is the last time I purchase them due to their sporadic temperament.

Breeding is the first thing that comes to mind honestly. Don't really see any other point if it's been this long with no aggression

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

King Neptune, no the tank wasn't established when they were added. It was a fairly new tank. and the white skirts were given to me by a friend. the black skirts i bought.

ImACoolGuy, how do you tell the difference between the males and females in the white skirts? This is my first time dealing with them.

King Neptune, no the tank wasn't established when they were added. It was a fairly new tank. and the white skirts were given to me by a friend. the black skirts i bought.

That could have been the reason why they were docile initially. Now that the water parameters are established and they are comfortable in their home the territorial behavior may now be beginning to manifest.

That could have been the reason why they were docile initially. Now that the water parameters are established and they are comfortable in their home the territorial behavior may now be beginning to manifest.

Skirt tetras are not really known to be territorial. Buenos aires tetras are the only ones I know of.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

My white skirts are super territorial but only with other the other Tetras. As far as the OP goes, Would it have anything to do with them being different species of tetra? I know they are schooling fish but will they school inter-species? I'm not finding much good info on the web. I know my experience has been negative with these fish and its definitely turned me off to them. They are billed as friendly and peaceful community fish so I would just like to get to the root of the issue.

There's always a batch of each species that is the outlier. One group that defies the logic of the rest. For the sake of majority, generally all skirt tetras are considered "peaceful". There are expect ions where they have been known to nip the long fins of other fish. I've never experienced it though. My skirts are in the general majority of being calm and peaceful.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom