White slime/fungus on new drift wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonraho

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Guys,

Any of you had white slime or fungus grow on your drift wood? Have a nice piece of wood in my new tank, it has been cycling for a few days now and noticed that the wood has a coat of white slime or fungus growing. I plan to start planting tomorrow and thursday, then adding fishes in over the weeked.

will this cause an issue to the plants/fish?

Thanks!

That is very normal when adding new driftwood to an aquarium. The same thing happened to me and many others have posted about it as well:) it should go away on it's own in a couple weeks, and it is harmless. You can wipe it off if you wish, I have even heard some people say their fish will eat it!

That is very normal when adding new driftwood to an aquarium. The same thing happened to me and many others have posted about it as well:) it should go away on it's own in a couple weeks, and it is harmless. You can wipe it off if you wish, I have even heard some people say their fish will eat it!

awesome thanks, just did some googling after i wrote the post. Bacterial growth eating off stuff from the DW, harmless and like you said, fish will enjoying eating it. Can't wait to start planting tomrrow! lol

Yep, I noticed the same with my new mopani driftwood. Little Steve the angelfish has been chowing it down which is a huge relief because he sure isn't interested in the meaty flakes.

Mine took almost three months to disappear and no one ate it, but it did go away eventually and that tank looks awesome now. Good luck!

I am going to error on the side of caution and say mine lasted for a month. My fish ate and it annoyed the piss out of me so I kept taking it out and scrubbing it off. But it never caused any actual problems it was just annoying. Here's what mine looked like.

I am going to error on the side of caution and say mine lasted for a month. My fish ate and it annoyed the piss out of me so I kept taking it out and scrubbing it off. But it never caused any actual problems it was just annoying. Here's what mine looked like.

OH wow, that is bad lol.. mine isn't at that stage yet, but i have never taken it out and scrubbed it. Currently have shrimp and algae eaters picking at it, hopefully wont last that long xD

Just an update, i checked my tank this morning after adding the shrimps last night.. They started eating them and this morning all the white stuff was gone! =)

Back
Top Bottom