White slime on top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greeny

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm breeding bettas and I have a 55 gallon rubbermaid that I use as a water reservoir.

I have a heater in it and a waterpump. I fill it up and dose it with Prime. Then when I need to change the water in the betta jars, I have lots of treated water ready. The waterpump is attached to a length of tubing with a valve at the other end. So I can pump directly to a tank a few feet away. There is a bit of rust on the connections.

I keep it at 80 degrees. I have completely emptied the container and wiped it down with paper towel and refilled. A few days later, the slime is back.

I thought it might just be stagnating, so I left the pump on for water movement, but it makes no difference.

I had this setup for several months and it was fine, but then a few weeks ago, this started.

1. What is this?
2. Is the slime harmful to fish?
3. How can I get rid of it?

Thanks!!

The pump was off when the problem started, and I was on vacation for a week so there wasn't any agitation. It is covered, so not a lot of light gets in, but not tightly so some light gets in and air.

But now I have cleaned out the tub and left the pump on, so there is agitation, and it keeps coming back.

Thanks,
G

Is it on the surface of the water or on the sides of the container at the water line?

i had this.. a power head near the surface, and an air pump (only on 1/2 the day) with air stones fixed it for me. a 10$ pump, tubing, and a stone would probably do it for you.

Thanks for all replies.

It is not waste from the bettas. There are no fish in this container. Just tap water, treated with Prime, and salt. This is water waiting to be used in fish tanks/fish jars.

I will try agitation of the surface. If anyone knows WHAT it is, I'd be pleased to know.

You say you put salt in the container? How thick is the slime?

If it's thick enough that you can skim it off with a cup or fishnet, and then try and dissolve a lot of it thoroughly in a glass of water - then (if you have one) try testing that water in a hydrometer.

The slime could be either the salt, or a by-product of your salt that is refusing to stay in solution and is precipitating onto the surface.

EDIT: Or it could be a trace chemical from the salt (or leeching out of the container walls) that is reacting with the salts in Prime and causing the slime.

I'd recommend getting a small glass bowl (like a mixing bowl) - fill it with just the water you use first, and let that sit for a few days. Then add Prime and let it sit for a few. Then add the salt and let it sit for a few. If after all this, there is no slime - then your container is the culprit.

EDIT 2: On second thought - you may want to do the Water, then the Salt, then the Prime - because the Prime may dissipate if it's not tested last.

Back
Top Bottom