White specks in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dodi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have white specks floating in my tank, like dust particles, also fluffy white stuff on my anubias petite plant. The tank has sponge filter and I gravel clean 25 to 30 percent of the water every wednesday. Ammonia and nitrites 0. My betta is healthy. Does anyone know what this is and will it harm my fish? It looks awful, I would love to have a clear tank. Thank you for your help.

Yes even after I remove some of the water with siphoning and adding the new water with prime conditioner and blackwater extract the specks are floating.

Hmm, couple of questions:

Do the specks move?

Could it be just floating debris?

How long has tank been going? What is ph? Have specks always been there.

Could it be a bacterial cloud (fine, milky white water)?

I have had the tank for 7 months now and noticed the white specks a couple of months after I got it. Sometimes the white stuff is stringy and looks like fluff on my plants. The ph is high, 7.5 but nitrates are 0 as is ammonia and nitrites. But my little guy my betta seems fine and active and a great appetite. I give him pellets and daphnia, and about once a month a green pea that he loves. Was thinking maybe the daphnia or the pea could cause this In the water. I am running another tank cycling, as am preparing for another betta, and it has no white stuff. I just dont want this white stuff to harm my fish as unsightly as it is and am tninking of moving him into the other tank once its cycled.
Has anyone had this in their tank? Also I get alot of green algae on tank walls. Maybe the Live plants?

The white stuff just floats but doesnt move. It cant be dust because there is no dust around the tank area and the tank has a lid.

Sounds like what i identified as hydra (not sure if it really is) when it was in my tank at one point. Mollys will eat them over time supposedly. That or they just went away on their own after i got the molly. Hydra is only harmful to freshly hatched fry. They usually come in on live plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for the info! I feel better knowing it will not harm the fish. My anubias are not Doing so well so added Flourish. One is doing okay but the other is not. I may just remove The anubias and see what happens. Thanks so much! :)

Sounds like what i identified as hydra (not sure if it really is) when it was in my tank at one point. Mollys will eat them over time supposedly. That or they just went away on their own after i got the molly. Hydra is only harmful to freshly hatched fry. They usually come in on live plants.

If the particles are floating and there's no movement when the stuff on the plants are disturbed(tentacle retraction) then they aren't hydra, which also need a steady supply of small live foods to thrive and multiply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes there is no movement so am not sure what this is they just float. I am thinking of moving my betta to the new tank once it's done cycling and see what happens in the new tank. Thank you!.

Could it be anything that got into the tank? A pic would help. For instance i thought briefly there was something wrong with my tank and then i realized it was just shreds of paper towel from me wiping the glass during a water change

I never thought it could be paper towel fragments as i use this also to clean the sides of the tank. i tried posting a picture but could not see the link to post. I will try again.

Back
Top Bottom