White spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed these white spots on one piece of my drift wood today.
What is it? Do I need to be concerned? How do I get rid of it?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412636742.149690.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay. Do I need to worry or will the fish eat them? What should I do?

I have the exact same thing. They are snail eggs. The snails are very small and haven't been a problem for me, even though I seem to have a lot of them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They will never hatch they need saltwater to hatch, but they can get unsightly and I'm not sure if fish eat them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay so they won't harm my tank at all?

They will never hatch they need saltwater to hatch, but they can get unsightly and I'm not sure if fish eat them.

I pulled the piece of wood out and rinse then off but it didn't seem you work.
What do I need to do?

Mine are not salt water. Look exactly like picture. They do hatch. I also have them on plants. They have not been a problem and you can see by their tracks they are eating algae.

Mine are not salt water. Look exactly like picture. They do hatch. I also have them on plants. They have not been a problem and you can see by their tracks they are eating algae.

Would you mind posting a picture of the snails?

Then you either don't have nerites or you have other snails also, nerite eggs need brackish water at the least to hatch.

So are these something that will take over my tank? Do I need to get rid of them? If so how?

Finally figured out how to post a picture. This is a picture of the small snails I have that come from the white spots(eggs). They come in on plants and haven't been a problem ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412782494.584652.jpg

That is a pond snail in the picture but they don't hatch from the white egg spots. Pond snails lay very tiny eggs encased in a tiny clear sac that you often don't even see. These snails will multiply quickly especially if food is in abundance. You can look on line and see about making a snail trap or depending on your tank size and stock you can get some loaches which love to eat pond snails.

You have to have nerite snails in the tank as well because those hard white eggs are from nerite's. Unless you have small horned or spiny nerite's most loaches can't kill them. I've kept larger nerites with both Yo-yo and Angelicus loaches without problems.

That is a pond snail in the picture but they don't hatch from the white egg spots. Pond snails lay very tiny eggs encased in a tiny clear sac that you often don't even see. These snails will multiply quickly especially if food is in abundance. You can look on line and see about making a snail trap or depending on your tank size and stock you can get some loaches which love to eat pond snails.

You have to have nerite snails in the tank as well because those hard white eggs are from nerite's. Unless you have small horned or spiny nerite's most loaches can't kill them. I've kept larger nerites with both Yo-yo and Angelicus loaches without problems.

I have 3 nerites in my tank.
Do I need to worry about the white spots or no??

No you don't. Many find them an eyesore but over time they will dissolve on their own. On glass you can use an algae magnet to remove them. On DW you can use something to pop them off or just wait and let them dissolve.

No you don't. Many find them an eyesore but over time they will dissolve on their own. On glass you can use an algae magnet to remove them. On DW you can use something to pop them off or just wait and let them dissolve.

Thanks Rivercats!!!!! That is exactly what I need to know. You are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom