White spots, and it sure isn't Ick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started noticing small, round white spots on my driftwood. I didn’t think much of it and thought it might be a fungus that would die off. Well, now the spots are on some of the rocks in my tank, and one on the glass.

The spots are small. About 1-1.5mm across. I don’t think they actually move on their own, but I pulled one of the rocks out and poked at some. They do pop off, but leave a small “foot”. Kind of like a little bit of extra shell stuck there. So, they are alive, but I have no idea what they could be. I’d post a picture, but it would just be a little white dot.

I’m going to monitor the one on the glass to be certain that they don’t move.

Any ideas as to what they could be? They remind me of a smooth barnacle, without the opening on top.

Maybe it is some kind of fungus? Or maybe it could be related to the type of driftwood? Where did you get the driftwood, just guessing, but it could have something to do with it.

I got the driftwood from an aquarium store, and didn't see any on it when I got it.

When you poke them, they are kind of hard, but if you press hard enough they pop. They are pretty odd and seem to be mulitplying.

They don't group too closely together, so if it's fungus, it doesn't grow larger than what it is, and it doesn't clump together.

Back
Top Bottom