White spots on my driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had an anubias growing on a piece of driftwood for a couple of years. A few weeks ago white spots appeared on the driftwood. They are small and don't seem to have changed since I first noticed them. Any ideas of what these could be or what it means in my tank?

Stats -
10 gallon tank
pair of kribs and one guppy recently added
weekly water changes 25-30%
feeding every other day
Don't know my water params - I don't have a kit and haven't been to the pet shop in a while, but usually my trates are 10 or below with no ammonia and everything else good

What do you think?
Thanks!

Driftwood gets a white fungus sometimes when it is new. Are the spots kinda puffy? If it is only on the driftwood and does not move than it is probably fungus and is harmless. It will go away once the driftwood seasons.

You must quarantine your driftwood for ich, or it will die.

Just joking, sometime new DW release a thing that bacterias will consume, and a white fungus coming from air spores will consume thoses bacterias. That start with spots, then finish with covering the entire DW. It make a kind of white slime, viscous...

It's harmfull and will go by itself in months. You can scrub to help, or rinse it under hot tap everytime you get it, that will faster the process.

Sometime white spots are very tiny snails, or snails eggs.

I did add a couple nerite snails. So you are saying I probably got eggs. Not what I wanted. What to do?

If you want to get rid of them, killer snails worked well for pond snails for me, and now the population of killer snails is going down.

Assasins snails***

Nerite snails cannot reproduce in freshwater. They will lay eggs but the eggs will not produce any baby nerites. The only thing you can do is remove the snails, or try to scratch off the eggs. I personally just chose to get a new piece of driftwood because they are near impossible to get off.. I just put the wood with eggs in the back of my other tank. I hear the remaining shells of the eggs will eventually dissolve but after 6 months mine still remain.

If you don't want to change your DF, you can do something really nice with it. Just buy java fern frags, I mean, a lot of really small java ferns, and glue them everywhere on your DW with crazy glue, or reef gel glue, it will grow like amazing, any lights you have.

247070DSC04588.jpg

That look like this in my tank, it's the middle piece

Khuligirl93 is right. I have white dots on my DW and my plants. When I was told by the salesperson at my LFS that they don't reproduce in freshwater I thought that's great. They neglected to tell me about the wonderful unfertilized eggs that will become a part of my aquascape! :lol:

I have been told they can be scraped off with a sharp knife. But I haven't tried it myself yet.

If you don't want to change your DF, you can do something really nice with it. Just buy java fern frags, I mean, a lot of really small java ferns, and glue them everywhere on your DW with crazy glue, or reef gel glue, it will grow like amazing, any lights you have.

247070DSC04588.jpg

That look like this in my tank, it's the middle piece

That looks amazing mrvincent! I'm going to do that with my egg-covered DW next time I do tank maintenance! What kind of glue is safe?

I was also told they would not reproduce, but not about the fact that they would still lay eggs. I am just glad to know I am not going to be overrun with snails. I had my fun with that in the past and don't want to go there again.

I would be interested in knowing what glue to use on plants in water. I have an anubias on the DW now but might consider something that covers more.

I've never used it myself but I have read that regular old krazy glue brand is safe to use. Any glue that is 100% cyanoacrylate. That said There are plenty of people that say they would never use it. If you google it you will see what I mean. I have wedged my java fern roots into the crevice of my DW with the gravel from my tank. Cheap and safe :) I have also used fishing line to tie Anubias to rocks.

There is also silicone that is definitely aquarium safe. Just make sure it doesn't have any mold resistant stuff. I think GE 1 is one that is safe.

I'm using any cyancrylate glue for months, in both my SW and FW tank, so problems until now !!!

Some say super glue, I used krazy glue, but the best thing you can use is some cyanocrylate GEL glue, it don't spread everywhere leaving a ugly white spot on wet targets.

You don't have to dry both DW or plants rhyzom. You don't have to wait it dry too... But it dry very fast anyways....

I think they meant no problems so far

Yeah, sorry, bad english, I mean I used a lot of differents cyanocrylates glue brands, without any issues. It's safe for all aquariums. It dry faster underwater too.

You may use it to glue, then rinse the piece a bit, then put it directly into the tank without any problems. Gel is best, it avoid spreading glue everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom