White stuff building up on my glass top hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raimeiken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm afraid this stuff might be reducing the light that's going in the tank. I tried scrubbing it off, and it doesn't work, i took a toothpick and tried scratching it off...well it works but it takes too long and i can't get all of it off. I was gonna remove the glass top since none of my fishes jump, but the light fixture that i have says, "Not use over open water" what should i do?

Get a brillo pad or something rough and scrub scrub scrub

CLR works as well, its just mineral deposits from the water, and your right, it does block some of the light.

CLR works but just make sure you rinse rinse rinse once your done.

, i haven't tried hot water, since i was cleaning that thing at my backyard. I'll try the hot water, but chemical stuff for me, i won't risk on doing that.

clean the glass...

Something rought like a brillo pad might help... Here's what I like to do for difficult things like that, especially if they are removable... Soaking in vinegar will make it easier to take off... another thing I use for difficult things, even grease on my hands, stuff like that..., dish soap with baking soda mixed in... it gives it that gritty feel that really helps scrub things... Either method or a combination of the two should be quite helpful... hot water does help, don't forget the elbow grease and the rinsing... good luck.

Use a little hot sauce from the kitchen. Pour it on the glass and lit sit for about five min and the rub with a soft cloth to remove the build up and the wash with hot water repeat if necicary. HTH.

vingegar will work about as well as CLR. you've got mineral deposits..mostly calcium. acidic vinegar will remove it easily. weekly windexing of your glass canopy (removed from the aquarium of course) will help keep these from building up so quickly.

no offense at all malkore, but personally I wouldn't use windex... of course I'm a health nut and wont have anything like that in my house anyway... I use diluted vinegar to clean a lot of stuff including windows. It works great... It would probably work just as well to keep a spray bottle of diluted vinegar handy and use it on that glass every so often as malkore suggested... I don't like doing routine stuff like that, BUT if you don't, it makes things harder later on... good point malkore... keep it clean on a regular basis and you wont find yourself scrubbing...

Back
Top Bottom