White thing in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spaceeoddityy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is a 10 gallon tank with platys and catfish in it. I noticed this white stringy thing on the plant deco. There were about 3 in total. Anyone know what it is?

imgur: the simple image sharer

e954quS

For some reason the picture won't insert, so I just linked it to the imgur link!

Thanks!

Does it move or just float? . It could be just poop . Or there is a type of worm that can occur in tanks if not properly cleaned that are white. Not sure what there called but dont think there harmful to your fish . I'd recommend a good gravel cleaning . About 40% water change

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It didn't quite look like poop to me. Usually their poop is the color of their food, so green, red, brown, etc. We did a water change and that seemed to help. I am just worried because when we first had the tank we had too much ammonia and 3 fish died, so I don't want any weird bacteria or floaty white thing killing them!

It is very hard to tell from the photo. The only thing I can think of that looks like that is an anchor worm, which is actually a crustacean. They are normally attached to a fish though..... never heard of them attaching to plants.

Do they look like living things? Is it possible to get a closer look?

It is very hard to tell from the photo. The only thing I can think of that looks like that is an anchor worm, which is actually a crustacean. They are normally attached to a fish though..... never heard of them attaching to plants.

Do they look like living things? Is it possible to get a closer look?

Hi Pip, out of interest are they common? Just curious.

PS Experience yes, but she is expensive :)

Hi Pip, out of interest are they common? Just curious.

PS Experience yes, but she is expensive :)

Hiya
I think I have seen Lernaea (anchor worm) twice in 31 years of working with fish lol.
They might be fairly common, but being so visible, are easily detected and dealt with before they ever reach dealers tanks.

I love all aspects of nature, but you have to wonder, what is the point of creatures like that?! :lol:

Good point :)

Plus if we see in papers 'missing aquarist - last seen...' we will know it was something weird! No, just kidding - I'd love to know.

Back
Top Bottom