White thing on female betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madison_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I’ve been noticing this new white thing on my female betta; I’ve circled it in red in the attached photo. One of her ventral fins is normal but the other one has always been bent a little weird. Could she be growing an extra one? It kind of seems like the spot where a fin would be. It’s sort of next to her egg spot. I do partial water changes a few times a week and all levels of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc. are fine. She isn’t acting any different either, so I don’t think it’s anything bad, but I’m just curious as to what it is.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 84B865A2-EBE7-4CDA-B7A8-9440CE8B6D15.jpeg
    84B865A2-EBE7-4CDA-B7A8-9440CE8B6D15.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 55
I’ve only been noticing it for a few days. How do I know for sure if that’s what it is? How would an external parasite develop in the first place? How would I treat one?

I'd keep an eye on it for now and wait for other people to answer as well. They might know for sure.

Yea that's weird and I've never seen it before on any fish. Sure its not just a random bit of fin growth? With that said I don't that is what it is.

Last edited:
You should google image search "external parasite on betta fish" and see if it looks similar.

I looked it up and the pictures I’m seeing for anchor worm might look similar; I’m not sure ?. I read that it could develop from new fish or plants that carry something but I don’t have either of those. As for fin growth, she has both ventral fins but one has always been been upwards against the side of her body. She wouldn’t be growing another fin; would she?

I've never heard of a fish growing an extra fin before. I'd treat it as if it were a parasite to be safe.

Do a large water change and treat with a little aquarium salt. Or you can use medicine like tetra parasite guard.

Back
Top Bottom